I Forge Iron

Thor's HAMMER

Well now, THIS is hotwork. I have a customer who wanted a lifesize version of Thor's hammer from the comic books. It is forged from 4"x4"x8" steel. My forge isn't quite big enough for this size steel so I (the tall skinny one, swinging the hammer in the pictures) asked my friend Eddie if I could come to his shop and if he could give me a hand. We got the eye slit and partially drifted today. We are going to try to finish it up on Friday. All the slitting and drifting has been done with sledge hammer.

I'm tired....:p

2941.attach

2942.attach

2943.attach

If you don't lose too much in the punch and drift op, it should weigh around 36 lbs. I don't think even Arnold S. can wield that so it would have to be Thor...

PS - One of the shops I work in has a 25 lb sledge and it will surely kick your butt to swing very long.

From the second picture I take it, it won't fit under the power hammer. Maybe you have fullering dies in it and can't use it for slitting and drifting?

This is the definitive case of, "get a bigger hammer!" I have a 18lb. straight pein I'd let you use if we were neighbors. Unfortunately I'm too old and fat for that kind of striking so I'd have to stand out of the way and make suggestions. A little sweet tea sounds like a good idea too.

Frosty

HWoolridge, it was slit with no material removal. The only loss would be scale and radiusing the face.

Dodge, 19" haft.

Simmonds, I will.

Jake, that stuff was store bought and it did taste like honey, but it wasn't in the ingredients.

Thomas, no, why?

standingwolf, I got it from a friend who got it from a friend, but you can order it. Look on google.

cool hammer btw where did you get the steel??

-Steel? It's supposed to be Uru... but I suppose the customer didn't want to pay for a long epic trip to the Dwarven Lands to get the correct materials...

[/comicbookgeek]

Also, 36 lb? Thor's hammer can't be picked up unless you're "worthy", so I suppose that's the next best thing. :D

Doc.