I Forge Iron

small fly press help

Fatfudd

I picked up a small fly press, weighs about 450lbs. It is missing some of the tooling and I was wondering if anyone has one that is similar? It had a name plate but that is long gone so I'm trying to figure out the brand and also get some pictures of one that is the same or similar so I can make the correct ram, tool holders etc. 

If you can help I sure would appreciate it!

Thanks

post-25611-0-00420900-1368059684_thumb.j

post-25611-0-32072700-1368059693_thumb.j

post-25611-0-60276400-1368059703_thumb.j

Greetings Fatfudd,

Judging by what I see .   Because of the short screw and the ball design it was most likely used for a production line like the silver industry... I wonder what the screw holes are in the back of the C frame...  Its possible it was used in the leather industry.. I would research old leather machines...

I hope this helps      Jim

It appears to have a fairly short stroke (perhaps one full rotation is the limit of useful travel) and a deep throat for its size. The holes in the frame were clearly intended for some type of fixed tooling and I tend to agree with Jim that it was likely used in the jewelry industry. In this case, "correct" tooling is limited only to whatever your imagination can muster and the press will accept.

Hmm - it appears that one rotation is all the useful travel it has, about 2 1/2 in. Its really stout tho. it is triple threaded with a huge  brass female inner thread. 

I appreciate your suggestions and I'll look into jewelry type machines. All in all I think its going to be a really useful tool once I make the appropriate parts for it.

Thanks for your input!

It is missing the ram and guides.  It is about u of a fly press.  The holes in the frame were to hold the guides.  Good luck you have a bit of a project on your hands.

I considered the ram/guides but the stroke is so short that it may not have ever had them. On the other hand, that also might not be the original screw either.

It is just a one inch plain boss with no hole, just a small indentation for a lathe point.  Given that, I was assuming it would need some type of spring holder on the ram.

Also the body of this press is massive for the size of the screw. I haven't ever seen one that had so much mass in the "C" frame.

Here are some more pics

Oh also, 75% of a fly press for $75, I'll take that. It may need some parts machined for the fixtures and the ram but its still cheap in the long run.

post-25611-0-63332100-1368146604_thumb.j

post-25611-0-49689300-1368146612_thumb.j

post-25611-0-80980100-1368146622_thumb.j

In that case I think you are right, it would operate independently guided and return sprung tooling, that is what I was trying to confirm. It does not lift the tooling itself...Be intriguing to find out what. There does not seem to be any mushrooming or other sign of pressure or wear on the boss...doubly intriguing...obviously needed a sharp crack of a blow rather than a squeeze with those weights whatever it was.

I have a toggle press which had tooling for embossing,  I am not sure whether it was for letter heading on paper or aluminium. That is a possibility for a short stroke tool...

Some of the tooling which came with one of my fly presses was for punching out instrument panel holes some of them were self contained, self guided, others the male had a short locating pin in the centre which located in a pre drilled guide hole in the panel. They all required less than an inch of stroke. 

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans

Alan, I think you are right on- "obviously needed a sharp crack of a blow rather than a squeeze with those weights whatever it was",

The steep angle of the threads, the female threads being heavy brass, and that there are 3 threads, plus the mass of the body led me to believe this was a sharp blow press. If you turn the screw up and just let it go it comes down by its self with some incredible force. I suppose you

could use it to squeeze too and that probably wouldn't hurt it, I bet there were a number of people who lost fingers with this tool!

I take the ball weights off the flypress when I want to do a series of quick repeat light blows when I used my bowl tools, or using it for bending and straightening. With them on the balls have the same disadvantage as a heavy hammer forging light stock, you don't get the rebound and have to put more energy into lifting it up between blows. I presume that the ball weights on your press were used as the handle for maximum power, the shaft is fairly smooth so depending on the oomph required that was also used. Any hand rub marks?

Harness shops had this type of press. They use a set of wood moulds to form wet leather. the press pushes them together,  then the halves lock together untill the leather dries and and sets.

That sounds very likely.

That would explain the unworn pressure point, and the quick turn brass threads.

It would also mean that the balls were not there to act as a flywheel as I first thought, but in order to apply a constant clamping pressure. That would also explain the lack of definite operating handle.

Alan

That does make sense because I found the guide and rams for the press. The ram has a dovetail slot in the bottom with 3" flat disc inserted into it. 

Also, the guides are lined with lead or babbit to decrease friction on the ram. It makes for a very smooth operation when adjusted properly.

Only thing that I question is the size of the press itself, its so stout and can obviously handle pressures much greater than needed to bind leather together.

If I modify this press to do metal, how do you think the brass threads would hold up?

Impossible to say. Depends on the work you expect it do.

May be better to find a leather worker to sell it to and look out for standard fly press. That would have the added advantages of the chucking system, robust dovetail guides and longer stroke and strong thread. Save you having to make any modifications.

If on the other hand it will only go into landfill or for scrap, it would be much better to use it until it breaks and hope another turns up before it does. You may get two days or twenty years!

Alan