I Forge Iron

Broken or just cosmetic?

noroc09

I've been eyeing this vise for a while now. It's really everything I want and within my price range. I know I could get cheaper, but work is too hectic right now to drive very far.This one just strikes my fancy. Is the crack anything to worry about though? It looks like it's just part of a sleeve and not the actual threads. If need be, could I straighten it out and weld it? Beyond that, any input would be great.

Thanks a lot!

Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111057482736&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

that part is just a cover over the threads ... I do'nt like the looks of the screw however... it looks like the nut is not ingaging deeply into the threads.  i prefer to look over any post vice i buy in person . pictures are not enuf. also price seems high for what you are getting. good luck

Don't take my word for it, there are guys here who know a lot more about vises than I do but I'd just make a new one. It is, I believe, a sheet metal sleeve to protect the threads from dirt, grit and such.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Nor,

Proceed with caution... The seller says the thing that covers the threads has a crack... and the tin covers that... ( the nut )   It has the wrong spring and the mount is not correct for a Columbian .   I would like to see this one in person first..   And don't forget the shipping...  In my terms cost prohibited ...

Good luck and be patient..    Jim

I don't think I'm going to get it. The more I look at it, the more stuff sticks out. There is one about an hours drive from me the guy is willing to sell for $60. I will probably go check it out in a couple days to see how it looks in person. Thanks for the help guys!

I can't comment on the crack in the box, but this style of vise is a Columbian, the last models that they made. I'm fairly certain that they were manufactured for the WW II Armed Forces. A few years ago, a surplus dealer brought in a load of them to his Santa Fe business. They all looked like the one you're considering and yes, the vee-spring is goofy, because the designers probably forgot that there is less throw with the old style leaf spring pushing from the bottom. How soon we forget!

I have that exact vise. It's one that I got at the flea market for $30. Weird thing is, it had the exact homemade mount and spring on it. Completely identicle. I had to forge a new spring for it though, because that one is shaped weird and too thin, it wasn't springy enough to actually open the jaws. I agree with frosty that it's just a piece of sheet metal added on, because everyhting is exactly the same on mine, but mine doesn't have that part.