I Forge Iron

The Hammer Chase

Greetings Ciladog,,

Yep... I normally do things like that on my P6 flypress ..  I designed a special hammer for chasing and repousse... Its one of a  kind ..  The table floats hydraulically and is controlled with the custom air hammer at the same time...  And that just some of what it can do..    And that's no bull so to speak.

JIm

post-30666-0-23270100-1367975157_thumb.j

post-30666-0-80049300-1367975248_thumb.j

Frosty,

My design..  I call it the bumblebee.  Hence the color.   You can tell by the tooling that I can form many things .  Multi media stands ..  I hate pitch...  And yes its slick for planishing.       Jim

Greetings Ciladog,,

Yep... I normally do things like that on my P6 flypress ..  I designed a special hammer for chasing and repousse... Its one of a  kind ..  The table floats hydraulically and is controlled with the custom air hammer at the same time...  And that just some of what it can do..    And that's no bull so to speak.

JIm

Jim, looks good but I don't understand what you mean when you say that the table floats hydraulically.  Could you explain?

My hammer(s) which are Bull knock offs will do what you did in your video.....But I would never hold a chisel in my hand doing it.

Bruce,  I also would never hold a chisel in my hand under one of your hammers. :wacko:

Jim Coke's hammer looks like a fancy Zipmax don't you think?

Greetings Ciladog

The table is mounted internally on two cylinders...   It adjust 8in to desired height...   The foot peddle controls hammer intensity and 1/2 in of height.  Which compensates for work clearance...     Nope not a zipmax...   Its a bumblebee ....   And for holding chisel I use the system I posted on holders a few days ago.

Jim

Greetings Ciladog

The table is mounted internally on two cylinders...   It adjust 8in to desired height...   The foot peddle controls hammer intensity and 1/2 in of height.  Which compensates for work clearance...     Nope not a zipmax...   Its a bumblebee ....   And for holding chisel I use the system I posted on holders a few days ago.  

Jim

Could you provide a link to the holder posting ?   

Bruce,  I also would never hold a chisel in my hand under one of your hammers. :wacko:

Jim Coke's hammer looks like a fancy Zipmax don't you think?

Ok, yours is a Bull and mine is a Bull and yours has a kind and gentle bite? I didn't see any restraints/stops like I've seen in some treadle hammers (which I wouldn't hold a chisel by hand in either) that will stop the hammer if the chisel gets knocked aside. If I were grooving   the same sconces the zip would be my go to.

Dat Bumblebee look like a mean motor scooter! Zipmax on steroids for sure....I'd like to see more of that one . How bout it Jim?

Greetings Macbruce and others,

Yep the bee is a bad motor scooter...  It's complicated how it works.  My last commission before retiring was a surround  for a large support for a home that they had to cut and put jacks in..  The did not allow for wood shrinkage...  Big home on a river and he was into trout fishing.

Not bad for an old guypost-30666-0-82521800-1368022985_thumb.j

Want a challenge try repousse and chase on the round

Macbruce,

The leather hold the chisel secure with that style vice grip.  Try one you"l like it ...  By the way if you look in the tool box an example of the wedge style hold down we discussed for you power hammer dies...

Your a cool old dude  

Greetings Knots,

I posted  it in holder for short punches..... Its simple a rough leather strap 1in  with a 7 vice grip try it you'll like it....

I like that .  I have two types of tool holders .   (1)  Just a small  tong with a looped jaw.    (2)  a pair of long nose locking pliers with the end of the jaws reforged to form looped jaws.  Both work fine for hand forging and treaddle hammer work but for pneumatic I can see where the leather  would serve as a vibration isolator from the rapid action of the pneumatics.   

I have a couple bulls, it is true that you can slow the hammer way down, but I have also had the hose between the 4 port valve and the throtle come loose. The change in spead is remarkable if this happens there is no warning. Might be something to think about.

Greetings again Knots,

The main thing is to use a 7 vice grip..  If you make one you will find they work for treadle hammer chisels and for hot work in the vise ...  Once you use one it will be your go to holder.  As you might expect I have about 7... Lazy I guess ..  Many chisels for treadle hammer work.  When I can I will answer your other questions on the message board...

Jim

So you think I'm a little wacko for holding that butcher in my hand?  Well, not to worry.  I'm not that crazy after all.

That is no stock Bull hammer.  I have the stroke set to about 1/2 inch below the top of the butcher.  If it gets knocked out, the head will reverse direction in about an inch and dies will not close. 

So you think I'm a little wacko for holding that butcher in my hand?  Well, not to worry.  I'm not that crazy after all.

That is no stock Bull hammer.  I have the stroke set to about 1/2 inch below the top of the butcher.  If it gets knocked out, the head will reverse direction in about an inch and dies will not close. 

I'm glad you cleared that up..... B) .......I figured there was an unseen safety measure you were using but to the inexperienced it could seem like it's ok to hold tools in a power or treadle hammer that way and it's NOT. My mangled left thumb is a constant reminder to be very aware of what can happen when things go wrong.

I'm glad you cleared that up..... B) .......I figured there was an unseen safety measure you were using but to the inexperienced it could seem like it's ok to hold tools in a power or treadle hammer that way and it's NOT. My mangled left thumb is a constant reminder to be very aware of what can happen when things go wrong.

Bruce, we all have   those stories if you've been beating metal long enough.  Some times things go wrong.  But if you are a thinking man (or woman) you anticipate the possibilities and move in another direction. You always knew who was the shaper man in a wood shop was by the missing finger :) .