I Forge Iron

The Hammer Chase

I'm working on some sconces and I had to chase the back plates.  Here is a video about chasing on the Bull hammer.  There are not many hammers that can do this.  Does yours?

Job well done, yes.

I think a little clarification in the begining would have avoided all the fuss about working under your modified Bull hammer with your hand seemingly in harm's way. I'm no Saftey Sally but I do take my share of educated risks. I'd like to see what you've done to your hammer to make this manuver *less risky* than it would normally be...... B)

Bruce,  Maybe so but I wasn't thinking of the safety issue when I posted the thread. 

It's not a modified Bull hammer.  I built this one from scratch and redesigned the controls from what Trozack had designed in the original Bull.  I can move the stroke of the head anywhere on the column and can adjust the length of the stroke as well.  How fast the hammer reciprocates is still controlled with the throttle exhaust valve.  So although it looks like I'm doing something risky I'm not.  I may get my knuckles wacked but I know that the dies will not close.

Any of the old Bulls could be retrofitted with these controls.  Here is a video that shows them.  I posted it shortly after the hammer was built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMYEwkcgcXk&list=FL-3FGnWL4eKUK7KwSMutEqw&index=36   

One thing seems to have been overlooked.   Nice sconce plate .   How about showing us the finished sconce .   From the looks of the current work I expect it to be an exceptional  work of art.

One thing seems to have been overlooked.   Nice sconce plate .   How about showing us the finished sconce .   From the looks of the current work I expect it to be an exceptional  work of art.

Thanks Knots.  The sconces are finished and packed up for shipment.  There are 4, two doubles and two singles.  But I won't post a picture until the client has them and gives me a go ahead to show them.