I Forge Iron

Belknap (Columbus Forge & Iron Co.) Anvil

Hello all:

I've been a forum member for awhile, but this is my first post.

I recently acquired my first anvil, a Belknap Harwdware and Manufacturing Co. (B.H. & M. Co.) marked anvil made by Columbus Forge and Iron Company.   It's in really decent shape overall and it has the serial number 17817 stamped on the front of the foot.  Can anyone here help me out a little in figuring out its date of manufacture?  I don't have a copy of Postman's book nor do any of the libraries here in town, so I'm hoping that someone with access to a copy might be willing to look and see if there is any date of manufacture information available based on the serial number.  Weighs in at exactly 90 lbs.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  Since this thread is worthless without pics, here are a couple:

IMG_20130502_220527_563.jpg

Serial number on front of foot:

IMG_20130502_220608_152.jpg

Your anvil was made in approx. 1913 according to Mr. Postman.  

Anvils in America states that Belknap anvils were made by the Columbus Anvil and Forging Company (makers of Arm and Hammer anvils), not the Columbus Forge and Iron Company (makers of Trenton anvils).

Thanks for the help and information, Sask Mark!

Any idea whether or not there was any working relationship between Columbus Anvil & Forging and Columbus Forge & Iron?  The reason that I ask is that in the desciption of the image "The Last Anvil Makers" that Postman used in his book, two of the workmen are identified as anvil makers for Columbus Forge & Iron Co. and the steam hammer operator is identified as being from Columbus Anvil & Forging Co.  Just curious if the two factories were in close proximity to each other or maybe shared some facilities?  Does anyone know?

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header it'll save us from asking all the time.

Thats a nice looking little anvil and a really handy size. Good score.

Frosty The Lucky.

This face of this anvil is in great shape.  I'd think I'd like to leave it pretty much as-is and not do any wire wheeling on it.  I would like to project the sides and base surfaces from rust as much as possible and have been reading of people using boiled linseed oil or paste wax.  Is one of those options better than the other?

If I remember correctly that picture was based off two separate ones from the different companies.  Postman does mention, IIRC, that it was possible that they shared bases if one ran out and needed a special size for an order.  Is the underside of the heel smooth like a Trenton or ridged like an arm and hammer?

Linseed oil is a bit tougher and longer finish; wax is easier to apply and re-apply---which do you prefer to smell burning?

Note that our here in Rural New Mexico our small public library can ILL books from over 90 other libraries including University libraries.  We have to file a request with the librarian, and we get it for 3 weeks when it arrives.  This even works for books costing hundreds of dollars!  Only way to do research when you live in the boonies---ask your local library about it.(also good for previewing books before you decide to buy them...)

The underside of the heel is rough.

The thickness of the face seems to be 1/4".  Does that seem abnormally thin or is it about right for an anvil of this weight (90#) made by Columbus Anvil & Forging?

Did a little more thorough examination on the Belknap anvil last night have took a few more pictures.

At the left side on the front of the foot there is the letter "L".   Does Postman's Anvils in America book give any indication of what this letter might represent?  Inspector code??

IMG_20130506_215617_610.jpg

Here is the serial number (17817) at the right side on the front of the foot:

IMG_20130506_220237_848.jpg

The underside of the heel and body:

IMG_20130506_220043_511.jpg

And finally the Belknap logo stamped into the side.  There is no evidence of any Arm & Hammer markings at all on the opposite side from the Belknap logo.   The logo is inside a rectangular box and the top line reads "BELKNAP".  Below that it says "B.H. & M. Co." (Belknap Hardware and Manufacturing Company.  And the third line reads "LOUISVILLE".  I found an online record of a similar anvil (but slightly heavier at 109 lbs) sold at auction and it had both the Belknap and Arm & Hammer logos as well as the weight stamped on it.  This one appears to only have the Belknap marking.

IMG_20130506_215235_789.jpg

Seems to be shaped like my W.B.B & Co.  I'll get the lad to take a picture of it when he gets in from school.  Mine has stamps similarly located on her feet but a spread 78 across the manufacturer's marks.

At the left side on the front of the foot there is the letter "L".   Does Postman's Anvils in America book give any indication of what this letter might represent?  Inspector code??

IMG_20130506_215617_610.jpg

I think I answered my question about the letter on the left side on the front of the foot.  Page 272 of "Anvils in America" says "There may or may not be a foundry mark to the left on the front of the foot.  This mark is usually a letter.  It is possible that the letters are those of teh anvil maker."  So I guess that is that.......

I appreciate you sharing that link.  Thank you very much!

here is a nice link that describes the intertwined nature of anvil production in Columbus ca 1911: http://books.google.com/books?id=QDkvAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1043&lpg=PA1038&ots=U_TdYIhBFY&dq=1911+sweden+anvil&output=html_text

I found it looking for info on Swedish anvils...

And if Postman is correct that the letter on the left side of the front of the foot is the first letter of the last name of the anvil maker, then it seems more than just coincidence that the Columbus Anvil & Forging Co. was started by an anvil maker named Tom Long who had previously worked for Columbus Forge & Iron Co before leaving to start his Columbus Anvil & Forging Co.  I think there is a really good chance that the "L" on my 1913-1914 anvil indicates that it was the work of anvil maker Tom Long.

And if Postman is correct that the letter on the left side of the front of the foot is the first letter of the last name of the anvil maker, then it seems more than just coincidence that the Columbus Anvil & Forging Co. was started by an anvil maker named Tom Long who had previously worked for Columbus Forge & Iron Co before leaving to start his Columbus Anvil & Forging Co.  I think there is a really good chance that the "L" on my 1913-1914 anvil indicates that it was the work of anvil maker Tom Long.

copilot, you're welcome for the link above.  i am happy it gave you information enough to surmise the actual maker of your anvil.  very, very cool.