I Forge Iron

Furniture Bluing

My buddy from diapers is scheduled to finally come back stateside from a year long tour of duty in South Korea in July, and I would love to build him a warfighter style knife with a mahogany (?) grip and blued furniture, which leads to my question.

What method do y'all use to blue metal (probably mild steel, since I can't find wrought)? I have used Birchwood-Casey cold gun blue to restore a few firearms and sidearms, but I've never been completely satisfied, and I know I've seen some very well done guards around here before.

You can't find wrought in Lousiana? Have you checked old dock and shipyards along the river?

sorry I can't help with the bluing question, I'd probably take it to a gun shop and have it done.

Frosty the Lucky

A friend of mine used to pull wrought out of the Columbia River and I've found a little here and there on the coast and the Copper river. You can also talk to the local club guys, they'll have the contacts and locations.

Frosty the Lucky

JAX brand is also good. Most of the traditional fire arm bluing compounds (Birchwood Casey) seem to work, around 2x as well as "ornamental" bluing compounds from Surfin or other companies. Your surfaces need to be uniform in finish and they must be C-L-E-A-N. A little warming up doesn't hurt either for your materials or patina solution. 

Also, smooth surfaces are a pain for cold bluing or other types of patina for that matter. You'll do better with a little "tooth".

Side note: I have wrought iron. PM me if you'd like a chunk.

• 2 weeks later...