I Forge Iron

Incredible WW2 Photos.

VaughnT

Odd that I'm so nostalgic for a time long before I was born, but I have a soft spot in my heart for this generation and think it's absolutely wonderful to see such incredible shots from their time.  I can't imagine what it must have been like to live in a time before 90% of the modern conveniences that I take for granted.....

http://fullym.com/shot-70-years-ago-but-these-wwii-photos-could-have-come-fresh-off-a-hollywood-set/?pid=160

Thanks for the link. Any time I see a spread like this I wonder if I'll see my Mother or Grandmother. They were Rosie the Riveters for Boeing in Washington. Mother was an instrument setter and Mom, my Grandmother, standing almost 5' was a rivet buck and cable puller in wings and tails because she fit.

Thanks again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Memories! The acturl photos are much better than fake Hollywood sets.

I was in grade school during WW II. We would draw fighter planes on the backs of all the school papers that we turned in. This was acceptable. We would haul scrap iron to a large pile behind our school.  This would be hauled away later for "the war effort." Gasoline and some foods were rationed. Nylon stockings and bubble gum were not available for purchase. Who knew why? We saved our used cooking oil in tin cans and we would turn them in to our butcher. We were told that the grease would help to make soap.

My father had state side duty in the navy at Mare Island, California, where he was involved with cracking "The Japanese Code." He said that there were about 10 men on the west coast and 10 on the east coast who had the letter "Q" within their petty officer stripes. These were experts in cryptography.

Post Script. The code was cracked.