I Forge Iron

New forge for Tristan

A pint goes a long way, I've double coated my forge three times and still have a bit for repairs. I think I got it from Larry Zoeller for not horrible money. It'll ship in a small flat rate box and there is NO reportable quantity, meaning it's not on the hazmat list so nothing special. Insurance would probably be $10 or so.

Frosty The Lucky.

Kaolin is one of those things that's best to get from a ceramics supply. I had a link to a Co. that sold small quantities of zirconium flour but that went in one of my last comp crashes. As I recall it was in the $40 /lb range but that was years ago. I've been searching but haven't found anythig like a retailer and don't recall the search terms I used before. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

try axner.com for zircopax plus is that what your looking for?

Zircopax Plus

I don't know if that's exactly the stuff but I think it's close enough and inexpensive enough to be worth experimenting with. It's for use in kilns and furnaces.

What do you think Tristan, want to split an order? 10-20 lbs is $2.84/lb. hmmmm? http://www.axner.com/zircopax-plus.aspx

Thank you mucho.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sure I would split an order. worth playing with for sure. 

Looks like we're up to 30lbs. now. Anyone else?

Pat: what do you think? This is a zirconai based kiln and glaze treatment and is supposed to (I think) bring the heat resistance and chemical erosion resistance up significantly. Do you know anything about it? Products like it are used in many areas of casting and foundry work.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks for checking Tristan. As it stands now, one large and one medium flat rate parcel will do the job.  Do we want to wait a little and see if anyone else wants to get some or go ahead and order? I don't think buying any on spec is a good idea till we see how it works.

I'm going to try and remember to call Pat today and see if he knows about the stuff and if he wants any.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Pat, I got pretty mixed messages reading their iterature. I THINK it works for a number of different things but. . .

Okay, we're up to 2 large flat rate packages. How do we do this Tristan? Can I mail you a check? I don't have paypal and don't like putting a credit card number out there.

I WONDER what would happen if we mentioned to the company that the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths is interested in trying the stuff out but would like a discount, maybe free shipping? Hmmmm?

It just occurred to me, I've bee thinking of you as the purchasing agent. Are you willing? I don't want to push you or anyone into anything.

Frosty The Lucky.

it's ok Frosty I think I can swing it this week. will let you know if I have any issues.lets just take care of the money when we divvy it up.   

I am going to cut my amount down to 8 # so we fit in two large flat rate boxes and save quite a bit of freight that way.

3.73 per # frt included is what I see it totals at. 

they seem to have lost my order, Will re order tonight. 

Is there a way you can protect yourself from a double order? I'm not saying it'd be deliberate but it can sure happen.

Frosty The Lucky.

You bet Jim. this is sort of a wild hare experiment. I've been using ITC-100 for some time now and it's really great but it's really getting expensive. So, we were doing some searching for zirconia flour to make our own and a fellow from IFI suggested this. It's high zirconia content makes it seem like a good candidate. It's already a kiln wash and strengthener for investment for HIGH temp casting.

I've got my fingers crossed but if it works out like ITC-100 then 9-10lbs. will be plenty for years and I'll be happy to share.

Frosty The Lucky.