I Forge Iron

Holder for short punches

Trilliumforge

Hi all,

I've been working on a portable tool box, and I'm doing everything I can to keep the weight down. One of the things I've done to help this is make a set of chisels and punches that are made from 2" of 4140. Each one has been slightly flattened, and had a round indent put into the side, so that they can be held in the special "wrench" I made for them. They work very well, and I like the idea, but I'm having a few problems. When I use the punches in the wrench, the bolt that I use to tighten them loosens off after a few hits. I'm looking for either a way to make this more secure, or a new holder that could do a better job. I've tried using another pair of tongs from my set, but the punches slip in the jaws. Vice grips work, but are a little bigger than I'd like, or too small to keep my hand away from the heat. I've seen similar punches that have an indent all the way around, but I don't want my punches to turn or spin. I also would rather not dedicate a pair of tongs to these, as that would be adding a lot more weight to the box. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sean St.

post-15970-0-80397100-1366167995_thumb.j

post-15970-0-96857700-1366168005_thumb.j

post-15970-0-78720900-1366168016_thumb.j

post-15970-0-12956300-1366168029_thumb.j

post-15970-0-80386500-1366168038_thumb.j

Some great ideas, Sean.

I am getting ready to build smaller punches that can be held with a single handle without turning in the holder. The flat spot for indexing should work itself into the final solution.

Please keep this thread updated as you go- I will need to steal it when you are done.

Dave

TheFullSmokingBar: I like that idea! I'm thinking of making a new handle like the one I've already made, but with flat bar for the handle instead of square (more grip when tightning), getting a wing bolt for the bolt, and putting a wing nut on it below the head of the wingbolt. I'm going to try that before I start thinking about tongs.

Bob: I don't quite follow you... are you saying the handle should be a threaded rod?

John: I've seen those, but I'm trying to not make an extra pair of tongs for my portable kit (I have it down to three). I've also used ones like that before, and I just don't like how much the punches can turn. Perhaps I could make them hexagonal...

windancer: will do! When I write my article about my portable tool box, I'll post that too. I have a list and image of it's contents so far, and I'm always looking for suggestions for improvment there too. http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/image/37072-img-1159-copy/

yesteryearforge: What kind of punch handle? Do you have a link? I couldn't find anything on their websites.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Okay, I made a larger bolt for the top that is much easier to tighten by hand, or by holding the punch in the pritchell and tapping with a hammer. I tried it with a wing nut to work as a jam nut, but it didn't make any difference. I'm starting to think that I'm just going to bite the bullet and make some holding tongs...

Update!

So I went ahead and made the tongs. They work much better than anything else I've tried. The v side holds the various shapes of the punches securely, and the bolt sits in the round notch on each punch and stops it from sliding out of position. I forged the jaws out of an old crowbar, and the reins out of mild steel. The reason for the mild handles is that I wanted to use them like a top and bottom fuller; just put the piece in between the reins and just pound. This let me take the vice grips, old punch holder, and and old spring fuller out of my toolbox. I think this is what I'm going to go with. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sean

post-15970-0-34970700-1367286798_thumb.j

post-15970-0-31766400-1367286965_thumb.j

post-15970-0-36684000-1367286980_thumb.j

post-15970-0-13979300-1367286998_thumb.j

Greetings All,

Normally I use tongs for short punch hot work...  Many are all fitted with there own handles...   I do allot of treadle hammer work and found a simple set up .  A short piece of rough leather about 1in wide and 7 LW vice grips... I also use this when doing vice punch work..  Hot or cold and they work well..

Carry on.

Jim

post-30666-0-01007100-1367356061_thumb.j