I Forge Iron

I need some blower advice.

Nomad,
I have used a blow dryer for years. My other coal forge uses a blower from a fireplace. Seems to me, you wouldn't want to get over 100-150 cfm. You can always use a gate of some sort if the blower is too much. I don't know if a dimmer switch would work with a blower motor, but it's a thought.

I have found that dimmer switches do not work well on shaded pole induction motors. The reason is that they are an inductive load, and the dimmer contains a triac which does not have good control over that type of load. A cheap dimmer is considerably improved for bathroom fan duty if it is strapped with a series resistor and capacitor (about 10 ohms and 0.01 microfarad for starters). Since induction motors do not respond well to phase control, but rather to things like VFD's, it may be simpler to use a sheet metal air gate. Or even simpler, a Y1K gap in the feed hose.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3420/size/big/cat/recent/limit/recent

Here is an easy blower gate, the blower is from a dead dish washer. I have it switched with a "normally off" button switch that i can step on when I need air. the can lid is over the intake side of the fan. I also have a 12 volt blower from a car heater system set up the same way. It works well for me....

After a bit of looking, I have found a blower at surpluscenter.com that looks go but it lists as a 'Draft Induction Blower'. Having no clue what the first two words here mean, I again turn to the minds here. I think if I couple this blower to a rheostat and/or an intake cover, I'll get what I need. Plus, the housing looks like it would work really well for mounting purposes. Please tell me what you think