I Forge Iron

Price of Genuine Wrought Iron

Can anyone give me a idea of the price of Genuine Wrought Iron.

I have some 3/4 inch square bars each 5 feet long.

They are all in good condition.

I would prefer to trade a few for some 1/2 inch wrought iron round or square bars.

But I got a call from someone who wanted to buy a few bars.

I'm located in Suffern , NY

Fellow at Quad State has been selling old bridge wrought iron for US$1 a pound for at least a decade.  I buy mine at the scrap yard for 20 cents a pound but in "used" condition. (of course I found 100' of 1.25" WI rod for free and another of 1/2" rod at the same price...)

The old globe stuff was priced high enough that they have had trouble selling it and have run into difficulties; don't know if I would base my pricing on them...

As it's not a common item; it's pretty much what you can get for it.

Its worth what you can get for it.  It would sell at a buck a pound I would buy it.  It also depends on if it has old lead paint on it as well.  I have some smaller size stuff.  I swaged down some stuff today  from 3/4" round to 1/2" round for some parts for a oyster sloop.  They need the wrought iron for its superior rust resistance.

Two sellers on Ebay usually reach the $2.50 to $3.00 range.  Here's one going for more than $3lb. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Lbs-Old-WROUGHT-IRON-SQUARE-FLAT-STOCK-Anvil-Forge-Blacksmith-q-/221203211297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3380bd2421

I had a lot I tried selling for some time at a buck a pound and finaly gave up....    I have seen guys ask as much as $4/lb but I dont think anyone buys much at those prices.

um, do you still want $1LB?  :D

Can anyone give me a idea of the price of Genuine Wrought Iron.

I have some 3/4 inch square bars each 5 feet long.

They are all in good condition.

I would prefer to trade a few for some 1/2 inch wrought iron round or square bars.

But I got a call from someone who wanted to buy a few bars.

I'm located in Suffern , NY

Dickb, for that matter why don't you break your stock down 1/4" to get your desired material?

Well its all cut up into nice size pieces and shipped to your door.  Takes all the work out of it.

Would those short lengths work for your oyster sloops? A little more ideal for damascus and bladesmiths?

I have about 300lbs of assorted scrap on hand.  I generally forge down or build up to make what I need.  My needs are very different than your average hobbyist.  I like thicker and longer bars.  I have a power hammer and a full assortment of swages so I can make finished looking round bar.  I do have some small rounds at my place If you are ever down my way I would swap some with you.

I think the issue is that the market isn't very deep.  People get caught up in the romance of real wrought iron; but few smiths will use a lot of it and so selling a few pounds to a knifemaker is much more common than selling a ton of it.  If you only buy a pound every couple of years paying a bit more isn't a problem...

This is a reply to why not just forge it down to a smaller size.

Without a power hammer, it's just too much work to forge it down to the size I need.
That's why I am trying to swap it for some lighter bars.

An offer to buy came in and since I have more wrought iron than I will need, I decided to ask about the prices.

If anyone near Suffern, NY has some smaller bars and would like to swap, then drop me an email at dickb24@gmail.com

thanks

We used a lot of it to make historical hawks and axes..wagon rim and wrought bars big enough to forge into hawk blanks usually run us about $1.50-$2.00 a pound but we have to order it..Wrought iron wasnt common around here..Not many wagons were used here in the mountains, mostly sleds..We need to order some now but have been laying off looking for a cheaper source..