I Forge Iron

Proper height for filing at a post vise

Glenn

The proper vise height for filing

If men were all the same height there would be no difficulty in regulating and determining the right height of the mechanic's vice, for it would be easy enough in each case to arrive at a standard which would serve equally well for all. There is, however, a considerable difference in the stature of men, some being above and some below the average height. A tall man would be compelled to stoop too much when working at a vice of suitable height for a short man; and a short man would be obliged to stand up-right and raise his arms to be an inconvenient height if put to work at a vice at which a tall man could work with ease and comfort.

Four sketches that will assist in determining the correct height of vice for every worker are given by Figs. 415 to 418.

In Fig. 415 the vice is too low, and the workman has to bend his knees and stoop too much over his work, and thus he loses power. 

In Fig. 416 the vice is too high, and this compels the workman to assume too erect a position and raise his arms too high, and in this case also power is lost.

In Fig. 417 the vise is just at its right height, midway between the two low position in Fig. 415 and the too high position in Fig. 416; and the position assumed by the workman is such as enable him to bring the whole weight of the body, or nearly so, to bear on the stroke, and hence the power exerted is at its minimum.

The proper and most convenient height for each workman is obtained as in Fig, 418, when the top of the vice anvil or jaws is just high enough to touch his elbow when he stands erect and bends his arm as illustrated.

Correct Position for the Filing
The position at the vice to be assumed by the worker is a most important point to be decided before beginning filing proper. The vice should be fixed at the correct height, and so that the work held in its jaws will lie level. The worker should take up his position as follows: The left foot should be almost 6 inches to the left and 6 inches to the "front" of the vice leg; the right foot should be about 30 inches away from the board in a straight line with the vice post. This position gives command over the work, or, rather, over the tool, and is at once characteristic of a good vice man, The file must be grasped firmly in the right hand by the handle. The left hand must just hold the point of the file lightly, so as to guide it, and, when taking the forward cut, a fairly heavy pressure must be applied proportionate to the size of the tool in use and the work being done. Some workers, for full duty with, say, a 14 inch file, have the left foot near the front of the vice while the right one stands at least 26 inches behind. On the forward stroke the front foot is relieved almost entirely of the operator's weight, which will fall of the file, while on the back stroke the front foot should take most of the weight, so that the file may be relieved.

Reference
Metalworking A book of Tools, Materials, and Processes for the Handyman
Edited by Paul N. Hasluck 1904

The positions stated are purely for engineer style filing where flat square faces are usually being worked on, and the directions apply to the engineers vise rather than a leg vise which also grips differently

Hot filing is usually done at all sorts of odd angles, and so the engineer's rules do not always apply, but are probably a good starting datum.

I take good advantage of odd filling and grinding, I try and keep 3 different heights for vices in my shop, each one about 5 inch higher than the next. In truth I have 5 good vices in my shop and they are all set at different heights. 

I have been in shops where some one has maybe a dozen vices and everyone set at the exact same height, and they were all to short for most filing work. Odd

One handy item I have in the shop is a small wooden platform that jumps me up so that I can work DOWN on my big vise---a lot easier than using the industrial angle grinder held too high!.

It lives under the bench to be drug out as needed and is sized large enough I am not prone to falling off it.

I too have different vise heights for different tasks and one is a machinist vise that mounts on my large drill press table that can be cranked to the *PERFECT* height for fine work---even when sitting on my lab stool!

I'm keeping an eye out for a post vise with truncated post to do away with the need for the platform,  Been thinking of the vise I'm going to mount  Freestanding in the floor---perhaps make it height adjustable as well.as removable.

Nicholson has a good how to on filing. It includes filing techniques, how to file different materials, how to file different tools, as well as vise height. For regular filing the vise should be elbow height. For heavy filing on large work it should be a little lower. For precision filing where vision is the most important consideration it should be a little higher. It is defiantly worth a look.

http://www.apexhandtools.com/brands/nicholson_files/Nicholson%20Guide%20To%20Filing%202006.pdf