I Forge Iron

First Anvil. Is this Anvil in good condition

I found this on Gumtree (Australian Craigslist), and want to know whether it's in good condition and suitable for a beginner.

If there are any problems with the Anvil could you also add a way to repair it, unless you just advise against buying it to begin with.

It is an 85kg Peter Wright anvil.

post-35944-0-43799800-1363223074_thumb.j

post-35944-0-67920200-1363223082_thumb.j

post-35944-0-14839000-1363223089_thumb.j

I am no anvil expert,but it seems to be in decent condition to me. A bit of bowing on the face,but certainly minor .Edges have a bit of damage too,but again nothing severe. If you are a begginer ,it would be just fine to start out with. Way better ,in fact,than many beginers end up using. You have to realize that this is a very old anvil. I believe I can read "Patent" as part of the markings. i may be wrong ,but Wright anvils with "patent" stamped were made between 1852 and 1860. So considering the age,it's in decent shape. What is the seller asking for it? Price should reflect condition...

Thank you for all the information, I will take it all on board. My only problem with the Anvil was the overhanging lip and a few dings on the face. 

But at the moment I think i'm going to buy it.

Edit: The seller wants $550 for the Anvil. I've been told its a good price for it weight and quality by people on /r/blacksmith for an Anvil in Australia.

Spoken with the seller, and the lowest he can go for is $400 Australian. Is that a good deal? I am also concerned about the anvil, it appears he has oiled it up for the picture. Is there a reason why or is he trying to hide something?

Oil won't hide blemishes, but it will make them stand out for a photograph.  I wouldn't worry about that.

Overall, the anvil looks in very good shape, and it's a very good size.  The sway in the faceplate actually comes in handy for straightening stock and I'm not seeing too much area that's heavily pitted or chipped so you won't have to do any major sanding.  

If anvils in your area are scarce, jump on it.  It will certainly do better for you than a railroad track and you can always weld up the face sometime down the road if you wanted to restore her.

If the rebound and ring are good, you have a nice anvil for $400AU, not sure what exchange rate AU to US is but if I convert kg to pounds and figure the price in US $ it works out to a little over $2 a pound.

The over hanging lip can be dressed and a little radius on the damaged edge and I think you have a nice anvil. 

Buy it and enjoy it.

Mark