I Forge Iron

Arthur J. O'Leary of Chicago, history

knifedude1999

Greetings Knifedude,

Many early manufacturing companies made thier products and would put thier distributors name on them...  Lanterns : it was common to see a hardwares name on the font...  I just purchased an anvil with the name of DERBY in box where in normally says Trenton..  It for sure was made for a farrier supply house by CFA.  I would think your vise is a Columbian...

Good Luck

Jim

A quick search of Google books shows listings for the company under primary blacksmith's tool makers, listed alongside other names such as Buffalo Forge and Iron City, just not as well known today. So this was not a private label short run from a bigger company. Should be a good working tool.

There is a picture of one posted in the gallery, and the vises show up on fleaBay with some regularity.

NO, NO, NO. O'Leary made the vise, 'the craythur' was his vice, and the cow got the blame.

Not that I mind a wee dram of uisge beatha my own self, mind you. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Remember, God gave the Irish whiskey to keep them from taking over the world. And they were nice enough to share with the rest of us!