I Forge Iron

new forged cross pein

Aaron J. Cergol

Hi all,

Myself and my striker Bill forged this up around a week or so ago. Bill helped me punch the eye, then I worked the shoulders and cheeks on my 50#LG and then worked the pein down by hand. It's inspired by the older farrier cross pien hammers, and a cross pein Brian and I forged. :) He really gave me some insight to drawing the pein out to help it avoid fish mouthing. Simple matter of upsetting it into a dish or swages to keep it in check along the way,

Starting stock was 1045 1 3/4" Diam by 4" long. came out to just over 2.6# after forging/grinding. 

Handle is home made from American Ash, and has two walnut wedges in a cross formation. 

Let us know what you all think. 

Aaron

post-2151-0-57405700-1362451622_thumb.jppost-2151-0-86081100-1362451679_thumb.jppost-2151-0-32330000-1362451704_thumb.jppost-2151-0-86369100-1362451720_thumb.jp

overall it is a really clean looking hammer, Looks almost store bought to me. Did a really nice job on cleaning it up and keeping the lines clear.

Always puzzled why people remove the metal between the striking hammer face part and the handle hole. Only plus I can see is to lower the weight but keep a bigger hammer face.

Looks solid with the two wooden wedges 

thanks all for the kind words.

Toolish-I do not know the reason for this either. My guess would be aestetics mostly, but perhaps that it narrows the area that transmits the force so that the force ends up more centered?

Have another cross pein in progress, this one has a more narrow pein. The next one I think will be a straight pein.

Aaron