I Forge Iron

Second attempt at cracking the elusive art world

Even though I failed to create any interest in last years sculpture competition, run by the local district art society, I've decided to have another go. I was amazed by some of the odd pieces I saw last year, some of which were highly commended. This year I have entered something a little different. It is made from 25, 14,and 12mm steel, with the 25mm being upset at the ends to give me more bulk. The sculpture is mounted in a block of sandstone and the same stone was used to make the 'egg'. I have called it 'The Initiation' (Make of it what you will.....I think that's how it works :) ). I am worried that it may be too contrived and that I may have been better off welding a bunch of random scrap together and calling it 'The Pain of Childbirth'...lol. 

I welcome any comments or criticisms

Cheers Ian

post-5570-0-88583700-1362222981_thumb.jp

Wow, nicely done!  I like how you used the two mediums.

I'm new to blacksmithing but a long time hobby artist.  What if you bent/curved the central rod towards the egg side, as if the weight of everything on the top were making it bend over that way.  May make it seem more "life-like".  Not really a critizism, just a different take as I really like it the way it is.

In my area they have an art competition called "Art Prize".  Theres a winner picked by popular vote by spectators and one picked by judges (art snobs).  It's a little contraversal with the artist types but has really been a big success with the amount of people coming to the area to see it.  

i think it is xxxxxxx awesome!!! it is a great metal sculpture. well worthy of the art world. i have also had problems cracking this world. it seams that if you paint or do pottery you are a shoe in. if you do contemporary stainless sculptures and give it a stupid name like bleeding heart of Athena, and the piece is a sheet of stainless steel with some lines on it to put in a corner you are a shoe in.

but for the hand forged steel sculptures that have so much mor time and meaning that you only get to be in the yard art group. even if your piece is better than museum quality. i would gladly display your sculpture in my living room. and put the Mona Lisa out in the flower bed!!

Think I would have continued the thick bar on around in the same arc till it was near the same elevation as the cluster weld on the upright . There it would bend sharply in to the middle bar and whip up then down to point the cage down. I admit to being Art Nouveau  obssesed. 

I agree with Dillon, I too had a couple of tons of yard art before I got to where I was making sales but I still had a lot of left overs, so make lots of stuff it helps you get there quicker. I like the piece but the more you make the freer they will look and have that less contrived look you mentioned not liking so much. Just remember you don't need to be the one that is really happy with your work but just the customer or in this case the judges. It never ceases to amaze me what wins the prizes or what gets bought. I sometimes think to myself, "So, someone actually bought that" or " THAT got first place!OMG!!". Don't go around saying things like that out loud unless you are real good friends with the artist or the patron it can get in a heap of trouble.

Hi Ian, I really like the sandstone the sculpture is set in as well as your sculpture. Agree with the other comments on the more you do the sculptures seem to develop more flow and balance as your mind loosens up...does that make sense ? Anyway for me, that appears to be the case...I think. Good luck in the ' Arts ' competition !

Denise

• 3 weeks later...