I Forge Iron

Metal impurities

TimB

Just about every gas fired furnace nowdays has a flame rod, and as an HVAC/R tech, I've seen many, but lately I been having trouble with a batch of them I got in.  The flame rod is nothing more than a metal rod, insulated from ground by a ceramic insulator that also mounts the flame rod, and holds it in the flame of the gas burner.  The flame transmits an electric current that the rod picks up and transmits through a wire, back to the ignition module.  This is how we prove flame on these such appliances. 

Anyways, the flame rod is designed to contact the flame, and frequently glows red the entire time the burner is burning.  Seldome do we have a problem with these burning in half, or melting, warping, or crystalizing, but on this latest batch, I seem to be having all the above happen.  A flame rod that I had installed 2 weeks ago, now has a "plumage" running the 3" of its length.  It looks like a bloom, or a small pile of fileings atop a magnetic point on the side of the flame rod.

This track can run the length of the rod.

My question is, would this be evidence of impurities in the rod, or of improper flame properties, like too little air (May cause a carburizing flame).   I don't see any problems with my equipment but I would like to better understand what the rod is telling me.

post-7904-0-54947900-1361912794_thumb.jp

Just about every gas fired furnace nowdays has a flame rod, and as an HVAC/R tech, I've seen many, but lately I been having trouble with a batch of them I got in.  The flame rod is nothing more than a metal rod, insulated from ground by a ceramic insulator that also mounts the flame rod, and holds it in the flame of the gas burner.  The flame transmits an electric current that the rod picks up and transmits through a wire, back to the ignition module.  This is how we prove flame on these such appliances.

I want to hear how you get flame to transmit electric current. I always thought that the electricity was sent from the module to the probe, and the heat of the flame made the a conductive connection from that heating that allowed it to returm to the module, proving the flame exists.

I want to hear how you get flame to transmit electric current. I always thought that the electricity was sent from the module to the probe, and the heat of the flame made the a conductive connection from that heating that allowed it to returm to the module, proving the flame exists.

It's been a few DECADES since I used Flame Rods in the Gas burners on Die Casting Machines, ... but if memory serves .....

On the Burners that I've had experience with, the tip of the Flame Rod, was only used to sense the Pilot Flame, ... and never came in contact with the "Main" flame.

The Burner Control charges the Flame Rod with a minute "AC" current.

A "blue" flame will, ... through the process of Ionization, ... conduct Electrons through the "blue" Pilot Flame, ... to Ground.

The Burner Controler senses this tiny current, and will then allow the Temperature Controller to open the Gas Valve, that supplies the "Main" flame.

It's been a few DECADES since I used Flame Rods in the Gas burners on Die Casting Machines, ... but if memory serves .....

On the Burners that I've had experience with, the tip of the Flame Rod, was only used to sense the Pilot Flame, ... and never came in contact with the "Main" flame.

The Burner Control charges the Flame Rod with a minute "AC" current.

A "blue" flame will, ... through the process of Ionization, ... conduct Electrons through the "blue" Pilot Flame, ... to Ground.

The Burner Controler senses this tiny current, and will then allow the Temperature Controller to open the Gas Valve, that supplies the "Main" flame.

cool thanks, there are not a lot times that I have to address plasma or Ion issues as an electrician,  now I gotta read up on that