I Forge Iron

Suitable finish/coating for fire set/trivet/tripod

Hi All, wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, I am looking for a suitable coating/finish for articles that are used in a fire, such as fire sets, trivets, tripods, etc. I normally finish work with oils/wax, but am looking for something a bit more durable... Could you tell me what you use?
Regards, Colleen

When I make campfire cook sets and tripods for outdoor use, I normally paint them with black hi-temp BBQ paint. I know it's not traditional but they generally are left out in the weather. The wax based finish I apply to other iron items wouldn't stand up to the exterior use.

Speaking of non-traditional, I made a fireplace set for a lady who asked for them to be finished in dark hunter green. They actually looked pretty good with her decor, and I doubt if she ever really used them much.

Steve

Anything used directly in the fire will burn off the finish so grates, tripods, cranes and poker tips will all be bare in short order. I use clear satin urethane on fireplace sets and simply tell the customer that they can clean away any rust with steel wool and recoat if they choose to. WD40 also works pretty well on indoor tool sets and can be easily reapplied by the end user.

If I am making something that comes in direct contact with food, I use a cooking oil. Usually on tripods and lantern hanger and such I will polish and use straight used motor oil. This makes it easier for the end user to re-apply the finish as needed. On interior items I will use the wax/oil finish or clear polyurathane paint. I find myself more and more trying to stay away from any paint at all but it still has it's place.

Usually on tripods and lantern hanger and such I will polish and use straight used motor oil.

Although you don't mention it, HOT used motor oil fumes such as what you'ld get going from forge to slack tub is CARCENOGENIC.

• 3 years later...

I find that a simple linseed or linseed/wax combination looks good new, and if the pieces are actually used as they are intended (in and around a fire), they naturally take on that "used and seasoned iron" look that we are all after anyway.

A wipe-down with a greasy rag from a day's cooking will keep them looking very authentic, just like seasoned cast iron cookware.

Don

ive gone to useing rustolium crystal clear on anything that dosent get used to touch food. its easy to use and keeps stuff from rusting before i sell it . i let my customers know what i use so they can touch it up and it looks good .i personally dont like black paint on ironwork as i think it makes it look like the crap inported from china .defenetly want to set my stuff apart from that.

My wife is a native of Taos Pueblo, New Mexico, and I've made a few cooking trivets for either outdoor fires or for cooking in their small fireplaces. The legs average 8" tall. They expect no finish, so I give them an as-forged finish. Traditionally, they all use a wooden stick for a fire poker.

The above information will not get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. If I'm doing steel fireplace tools, I give them a hot Johnson's floor wax finish.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools