I Forge Iron

Viking padlock

Finished this today, it's a barbed spring padlock based on one by Elmer Roush and other bits and pieces found in excavations. This particular type of lock was used from Roman times right up until the early modern era in some parts of the world. And as far as security, this kind of lock keeps honest men honest. Another type of barbed spring lock doesn't have the inner workings so exposed.

The barrel was made from a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 black pipe. The shackle, key, and the inner workings were made from mild steel, and the spring from an old hacksaw blade, brazed on in the forge. That was difficult, it took several tries. The first time I got it to work there was to much slop when it was closed and the barbs caught behind the key, and unfortunately there's only one way to solve that. Now there is zero slop. There's a linseed oil finish.

I'd like to make more locks, there's a picture of a medieval Persian combination lock on oldlocks.com I'd like to make.

2713.attach

2714.attach

Thomas, I think that would probably work, but I've never seen this type of key with that arrangement. It's probably better to have the workings be as tight and precise as possible.

Gerald, I'll try to get a better pic of the spring mechanism. I took a few pictures while I was making it, but not enough for a blueprint. I could try doing drawings, though.