I Forge Iron

Espaliered Apple tree gate

IanR

A client asked for a gate with an espaliered tree design, just finished it today. There is a fair amount of mig welding in it so I decided to add some more traditional joinery by passing the ends of the branches through the side of the gate then wrapping them around, while this is not Horticulturally correct I think it adds another dimension to the piece  It's at the finish stage now, the client wants matt black but I'm trying to convince her to have black patina lightly rubbed with fine steel wool to highlight the forge work then a clear coat of Permalac.Sorry about the picture quality I will try different light conditions to achieve some better images.

post-5570-0-20384100-1361096849_thumb.jp

post-5570-0-71543500-1361096919_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

ian thats really lovely!! love the espalier thing going on it looks great, and how youve spaced everything, and i really like that root along the bottom. those extra bits of joinery really add to it al, id be really pleased to have made that :) 

• 2 weeks later...