I Forge Iron

Something to think about when you bring your car in for service

ciladog

My significant other broke a rear strut on her car last night.  It was rusted through at the mounting.  She brought it to her repair shop this morning and they obviously said that it needed new rear struts and new sway bars.  I checked the car this morning and there was nothing wrong with the sway bars but OK she does what they tell her.  I texed her and said tell them that you want the old sway bars and struts after the repaire.  She texed back, "do I have to."  I said, "just ask for the parts when you pick up the car."

Now they are charging her for new parts and the old parts, the sway bars (likely 4160) and the springs on the struts (likely 5160) is good stuff for a blacksmith.  So the next time you bring your car in for service think about what they will be throwing in the recycling bin.

If you need to pay for the old parts, and a core charge is not involved, then something is fishy.

I got a small pile of automotive coil springs. The problem with struts is the center shaft is hard chromed, and nothing special so they aren't worth all that much to risk dealing with chrome compounds in the fire. There is also the oil.

The springs are about 7/16, or a metric equivalent, so while they are great for hand tools like punches and chisels, but not much good for bigger purposes.

Free good steel is still free good steel.

Phil