I Forge Iron

Ebay Anvil Question

I ran across an anvil on ebay the other day. It was listed as 110lbs, and new. The seller states that this anvil is not made in China, not laminated, etc....
Unfortunately, the seller does not say where it is made and gives only a few details. The picture shows a fairly nice looking anvil, but you know how that goes. Here's the hook, the price,....$100.00 plus $63.00 to ship.

Has anyone seen this, and has anyone got any idea how these anvils are, as far as rebound and durability?:confused::confused:

We need an ebay number to see the anvil in question.

Put the $60 in shipping into travel expenses and go to a blacksmith meeting in your area. Most likely you will be able to find an anvil for sale, along with a whole lot of other tools. If you buy an anvil or any tools, the shipping will be free. (grin) You will meet real blacksmiths with real blacksmithing information so take a note book and camera, because you can not remember it all.

Those are the Harbor Freight 110 pound Russian anvils. I have one I got at HF and before it was completely useful I had to regrind the horn. I like it quite well. It's a bit soft and has a real loud ring. Other than that it beats the dickens out of my old railroad iron anvil,
Finnr

That's an ASO to be avoided at all costs unless you have no other choice. That's just the harbor freight cast piece of crap steel, will dent and mar just as easily as a piece of mild steel, and isnt worth the cost of the steel its made from. For the same amount, you can, with work, find a perfectly fine peter wright or fisher or other reputable anvil. It may not be 'new' and may have some chips dings and marks, but it will serve you much better than an ASO who's heel will break off the first time you try to use a hardy tool in their diagonal hole, and whose horn is unuseable without spending 50$ in grinding discs and sanding discs to reshape entierly.

EDIT::

read this link link removed at the request of anvilfire

That's an ASO to be avoided at all costs unless you have no other choice. That's just the harbor freight cast piece of crap steel, will dent and mar just as easily as a piece of mild steel, and isnt worth the cost of the steel its made from. For the same amount, you can, with work, find a perfectly fine peter wright or fisher or other reputable anvil. It may not be 'new' and may have some chips dings and marks, but it will serve you much better than an ASO who's heel will break off the first time you try to use a hardy tool in their diagonal hole, and whose horn is unuseable without spending 50$ in grinding discs and sanding discs to reshape entierly.

EDIT::

read this link Russian Cast Steel Anvil: anvilfire product report

avoid this piece of junk@!#@!$#@
i've read the anvil fire article so should everybody.
by the way i have a nice leg vise to trade for good 100 pounder if anyone has one let me know.
buzz