I Forge Iron

Grease in my clutch....

I'm running a 50 lb. Little Giant that was buit in 1913.

I run it on a daily basis.

Before firing it up, I lube that baby with chainsaw bar oil.

My clutch is getting greasy and affecting performance.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

I'm running a 50 lb. Little Giant that was buit in 1913.

I run it on a daily basis.

Before firing it up, I lube that baby with chainsaw bar oil.

My clutch is getting greasy and affecting performance.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

why don't you just put less oil on it? If it's running off it's too much oil.

Bar and chain oil is fine on the ways, pins and babbit bearings. On the clutch bearing and pittman use gun grease. on the clutch lining surface I use ATF. When the clutch gets gummed up I spray it good with WD40 (it's mostly solvent) to cut the old lube so it will run out then relube with the ATF. If you are getting grease in the clutch you are either over greaseing it or the clutch bearing is worn out and needs repoured. I use a pistol grip grease gun for the clutch bearing go easy and when you feel resistance on the lever stop greasing as the breaing is full anymore will just go past the bearing and get on the frictuon surface.

The best lube for the ways and pit-mans would be "way" oil, it is horrendously expensive so use the bar and chain oil it is similar if not as nice and clean. I use exactly what Peacock says (mostly cause I leaned it from him and Sid) and it works well.

What is your clutch material? if it is wood it may have absorbed more of the grease than leather would and may need something like alcohol to clean it. Once it is cleaned you will probably have to lube it a little more often until it builds up a film.

If your hammer runs on after you let off the treadle it is another sign that you are using too much grease it is keeping it engaged when it should be releasing.

Bar and chain oil is fine on the ways, pins and babbit bearings. On the clutch bearing and pittman use gun grease. on the clutch lining surface I use ATF. When the clutch gets gummed up I spray it good with WD40 (it's mostly solvent) to cut the old lube so it will run out then relube with the ATF. If you are getting grease in the clutch you are either over greaseing it or the clutch bearing is worn out and needs repoured. I use a pistol grip grease gun for the clutch bearing go easy and when you feel resistance on the lever stop greasing as the breaing is full anymore will just go past the bearing and get on the frictuon surface.

This is exactly what I do on all my Little giants. Except the ATF, need to try that.