I Forge Iron

Forge blower and tube?

intrex

I have been trying to put together my first very rudimentary smithy and am stuck on one last piece.  I got a homeade forge from a guy in town.  It is basically a 1.5-2 foot diameter iron bowl with a hole in the center and a welded angle iron stand.  I was thinking that I would build a tube very similar to the 55 gallon down tube example with two round stock criss-crossed for the drain.  The problem is that the drain is 3" in diameter and I can't find anything close to that size in any of the hardware stores.  Should I try to reduce the size of the hole by attaching a steel plate or something else?  Is a 3" diameter blower hole overkill for a small forge?  The guy I bought the forge from was saying to buy a box fan for the blower.  I was hoping an old hand crank fan would pop up on craigslist that I could mount to it but no luck so far. 

Thanks for any guidance,

So you need some sort of a grate? take a piece of 3/8" stock and cold bend it into an S shape and place over the hole will get you started. Or take a piece of expanded steel and dish it slightly to fit---what I use. Have to replace them on a regular basis (I get about 20 hours of forging per) but I get the material for free of pennies a pound at the scrap yard.

As for a blower check with your local HVAC company. Ultra Efficient furnaces have a blower as part of their burner systems (not the big squirrel cage that pushed air through the vents) and when a heat exchanger fails the blower is usually still good.

You can use a plate to cover the 3 inch hole. Put a hole in the plate to then use a piece of auto exhaust pipe, or black iron pipe for an air tube.

You could just cover the 3 inch hole with steel or mud or what ever and put a piece of black iron pipe horizontally into the forge at the top and use it as side blast. The opening on the end of the pipe should be reduced to 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter.

I found squirrel cage fans in machinery as cooling fans. These work well, or go with Thomas's suggestion.

I copied an idea posted elsewhere on this forum.  I put the air pipe up from the bottom of the bowl about 2" with a threaded cap on the end.  I used iron pipe from the hardware store.  The cap has a 1" hole in the center.  What this does is put the air inlet ABOVE the bottom of the bowl allowing dust and slag to fall UNDER the fire.  Clinkers form like a donut below the heat.  It's much, much, cleaner running than a grate or a clinker breaker.  I don't think I'd ever go back.  The only down side is that it's harder to get the dust out of the bottom since it won't go down the "drain".

I you used plumbing parts you can buy a floor flange to weld in from below.

intrex did you get your problem figured out.  Funny that I am reading this.....my neighbor is a H and A man. He has his shop behind his home just down the road from me. I just called him a few minutes ago and asked about a 4" squirrel cage type blower.  He thought for a minute and is looking right now for what ThomasPowers suggested. While I am waiting for the return call I thought I would get on IFI and read some post.  I too am in the process of building my coal fired forge. Hopefully he will call me with a free blower of some type.  Might cost me a bag or two of catfish filets. I will let you know what I come up with.  Netman

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the responses.  I ordered all of the pipes off of amazon and a floor flange that already has a grate welded into it from a guy off of Ebay.  As soon as I get it all setup and running I will post a picture of how it all turns out and how it works.

I also bought a Fasco 7021-8735 1708-607 draft inducer for furnaces off of ebay.   It is probably a little bit overkill.  I am planning to put a potentiometer on it to control the speed. 

I got a 125lb swedish sisco superior in great condition from a guy on craigslist all setup on a large log stand ready to go as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

I finally got everything setup and working nicely.  I have only lit it up 3 times but it has worked out great.  I ended up getting a furnace fan speed controler (basically a a hand dial with 1-10 speed setttings on it) and a foot pedal on/off switch.  Both of them were from Ebay for a total price of around $50 shipped.  Next time I fire it up this weekend I will take some pictures of the setup.  The furnace fan on a 2 inch pipe input has more than enough power (actually too much) to run the forge.  If I put it on full power it will start blowing molten pieces of coal up in the air out of the forge, which is why I got the speed controller.  After experiment with this I think a much smaller fan would probably work out fine. 

• 1 month later...

Here are the pictures of the forge that I planned to post last month but never got around to it.  The first time I fired it up there was a loud high pitched noise which was the bowl cracking.  I lined the entire forge with refractory cement and haven't had any problems with it since.  The only other thin I plan to do it weld a very small shelf onto the side where I can set the speed controller and maybe weld a bar where I can hang tongs.  Bending down every time I want to change the air flow is getting a little annoying.

Umm... Nice job in adapting blower to to forge... But what gives me queasy feeling is exposed wiring at speed controller....

post-29850-0-21451800-1362155834_thumb.j

Think all the connecters (even though properly wire nutted) and speed controller should be in a enclosure securely mounted on forge stand....... With wiring exposed this way I sure hope you are plugged into a GFI outlet....

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dale,

This was the very first time I fired it up and was dieing to get it going so I definitely cut some corners.  Those have all been soldered and shrink wrapped now.  I am building some attachments onto the forge and am going to eventually mount the controller there as well.  I ended up modifying my welder which put the forge project on hold.  In a few more weeks I will probably have it all wrapped up and will post the final results (right side up this time).