I Forge Iron

Prospective Buy thread... Soderfors The "sweed" ?

photo75_zpsca0daccb.jpg

I'm thinking it's a Soderfors??? 

Seller's original ad was $595- antique anvil LOLZZzz on that price!!!

I Offer $250....

counter offer is $375...

Were slowly meeting at the middle here... I'm willing to go $300, but I'm just needing a second opinion on what I'm looking at... I'm second guessing myself, because I'm seeing a #2 below the horn, and another "9???" I'm not seeing any other Soderfors with markings like that on the google... ??? 

I am seeing a handling hole under the horn, so it is wrought not cast. The long horn in relation to the body means it is fairly light, say 100 pounds. No flats on the feet. Could be anything, but the base and profile put me in mind of my larger Hay-Budden. I would want to see it in person before I made any commitments.

Thank you gents... Glad I got a second opinion... It's supposed to weigh 100lbs. I'm in Florida, so geographically speaking the seller can get $375 for it, if he listed it for that much... $595 made me giggle. I'm going to stick to my guns and stay at 250, and ask the seller to keep me in mind if a buyer doesn't come along.... If it were a sweedish job, I'd meet him half way.//

Thanks again!

"It's supposed to weigh 100lbs"

is this a Guess Weight? Marked Weight? or a "Weighed" Weight?

I've seen guess weights to be off by several times before and marked weights to have been misinterpreted (CWT for pounds or pounds for CWT---the first way is in your favor, the second is *not*!)

It looks in good shape; hope you can get it at a decent price. $595 for a 100# anvil---you might as well buy *new*!

"It's supposed to weigh 100lbs"

is this a Guess Weight? Marked Weight? or a "Weighed" Weight?

I've seen guess weights to be off by several times before and marked weights to have been misinterpreted (CWT for pounds or pounds for CWT---the first way is in your favor, the second is *not*!)

It looks in good shape; hope you can get it at a decent price. $595 for a 100# anvil---you might as well buy *new*!

That information is direct from the tampa craigslist ad.  I'll gladly cough up dibs to another local beginner-smith on this one, as I've lost interest now that it's not a Swedish anvil. Not to say that buddens are bad, I'm just not coughing up that kind of dough for something that small....

3 "real" anvil ads in the past 6 months, one of those I snagged up... They're pretty scarce down here, and at least he'll negotiate...

$595 is just in another galaxy as far as I'm concerned... So is $375 for a "supposed" 100lbs. anvil...