I Forge Iron

blades too brittle

a couple of blades i forged from files keep snapping easy. the tips will break off. i can put it in a vice and put very little pressure on it and it snaps off. i hardened them using oil quench and tempered them in a kitchen oven at 400 deg for an hour. i may have forged them too thin, they were between 2-3mm thick. is it the steel type of the file that is the problem or did i not temper it correctly?

What did the brake look like?  Could you see a grain (almost sand paper like) or did it look silky?  If you could see a grain you overheated the steel causing grain growth which weakens the steel.  If you've done it properly then the steel will be silky.  Did you polish a section before putting it in temper?  It should be a light straw for a small blade, dark straw for a larger blade.  You might also look into doing a soft back draw for added strength.  I'm sure there's a sticky somewhere here for that.

What did the brake look like?  Could you see a grain (almost sand paper like) or did it look silky?  If you could see a grain you overheated the steel causing grain growth which weakens the steel.  If you've done it properly then the steel will be silky.  Did you polish a section before putting it in temper?  It should be a light straw for a small blade, dark straw for a larger blade.  You might also look into doing a soft back draw for added strength.  I'm sure there's a sticky somewhere here for that.

the break looks grainy. what do you mean by overheated the steel?

You'll find this in the stickies.  When steel is heated past the point where a magnet stops sticking crystals start growing.  These weaken the structure making failure more likely.  Use a magnet to determine the proper temp when quenching.  Most literature say "cherry" or "sunrise", those colors must look different to me as the magnet sticks past what I would refer to those.  Heat the steel evenly taking it out and testing, when the magnet stops sticking quench it quickly.  It takes practice, be prepaired to ruin some steel.  A lot can be learned from breaking your blades, the steel never lies.  :blink:

In traditional blacksmithing "cherry red" refers to *PIE* *CHERRIES* which are sort of an red/orange colour when ripe and *NOT* bing cherries which are a dark red/black colour.

Bing cherries are what most people are familiar with these days but are a fairly recent cultivar compared to the history of blacksmithing!

When heat treating an un-known alloy you have to TEST it until you get the right temperature for tempering, seeing how a file bites is usually considered a better way than breaking them...So start at 400 degF and if too hard/brittle go to 425 degF test and repeat until you get the properties you want.

Don't forget to normalize 3 times to deal with grain refinement *before* hardening!