I Forge Iron

Spearhead bars

I had a request to forge a spearhead like the one pictured. We decided it was best to do the socket and head in one piece rather than separately as the one pictured seems to be and that we'd experiment with different finishes on the socket. I've done a lot of research and practice on the spearhead, but there is one thing that completely eludes me- the bar. I've no idea how I would forge the bars into the socket, any ideas?

1350493748702.jpg

Here is a thought. Do it as a separate pass through piece. Leave extra material to the side of the socket, make a good snug fit, with the insert piece having a groove that can have the socket close and lock onto (like wings which can be bent out on the socket prior to inserting), then insert into socket, bend socket wings in locking it in place. Possibly put a shaft side bevel into it, which when the shaft is driven into the socket will then slightly split the shaft within the socket wedging it tighter into place. So you would then in effect be using it as an interior hidden wedge.

Another thought. Like mentioned above forge weld it. A way that may work would be two matching halves (like wings coming out from the base of the spear head), bend them over onto each other and weld.

Or just plain and simply do it as a separate pass through piece without the locking wings on the socket, tap it into place, insert the shaft which then seats it.

Those are the three thoughts that immediately come to mind.

• 10 months later...

I FOUND THIS IN MY RESEARCH.. IT WILL BE OF ASSISTANCE...  http://www.celticclans.org/spear101-1.html its a two part lesson.. its not really my cup of tea the grinding of bevels and things on a spear but the socket forming is of interest but when i get round to making a proper replacement for my spear i hope to be more accurate in the hammering without relying on the grinder toooooo much :rolleyes:  

I'm researching spears too, which is why i browsed your post thanks for the assistance 

Files and stones (grind and flat have been around a long time. No dishonor in using them. "Forge thick, grind thin is an old maxim. Moddern heat treat ovens alow forging thin and grinding thinner. Obviusly our ancestors wouldn't want to turn more expensive metal in to fillings and grinding dust than nessisary.