I Forge Iron

Show me Your Vent Stack

It's well past the time when I need to install a vent pipe.   I need some pics to get ideas from.    Please post away.   I would start us out but alas I have none.   :(

Pics should show the overall stack, the roof seal points if possible, how it's supported and just about anything you think someone could benefit from when they go to copy your design.

this is for the forge of course

no pics but lets see: no roof seal as it goes out a hole in the wall at a steep anvil---forge is near the propanel wall. Held up with bailing wire. No wood in my building anywhere near it---all steel building save for the 4 telephone pole posts that support the roof and walls. 10" diameter spiral seamed duct pipe.

It's held about a foot above the center of the forge pot and I have a sliding U of sheetmetal around the pipe that can slide down to touch the forge on 3 sides of the forgepot---also held on with baling wire.

First see what codes you have to meet. Then figure out how to meet them! (or gracefully get around them)...

Here's mine, a bit undersized at 10 inches, bone stock HVAC parts and sheet metal. Mostly it works well.

I'd love to build a Hofi style vent stack so I could try and get the patio roof sealed up. the leaks and the buckets under them do keep the slack tub full though.

post-182-0-88286100-1355512917_thumb.jpg

This may be a little more involved/time consuming than most want to undertake but I wanted to at least attempt a legal code compliant installation for they can be fairly strict in my community. I headed others advice that minimum 10 inch diameter pipe should be used. New double insulated 10 inch pipe and flashing kits etc are quite pricy so I spent about six months searching out used stock on CL finally finding some for a very fair price. These older section have a 14 inch outside diameter and were quite heavy. Rolling them up the ladder and lifting the upper pieces into place was no easy feat. The excess weight also necessitated building a sturdy angle iron bracket/hanger for them to rest on. The chimney cap was a total fluke find in the metal bin at my town’s landfill---designed for the same diameter pipe ---  with enough open space not to noticeably effect draft –and with a cool industrial look ---I was happy! The uninsulated 10 inch pipe came from a plumbing supply house and the large ‘hood’ is a piece of used ventilation ducting which I was lucky to find and fit the forge perfectly. I would have preferred to leave the hood open on the sides but found that it smoked without the extra sheet metal – particularly when lighting the fire. The front flap hinges upward for larger or angled pieces and the end piece is held in place by the coal making removal easy for long pieces. I learned through trial and error that the top of the front flap should be inside the hood when closed otherwise some smoke would find its way out. This installation took quite a bit of patience and scrounging but the result was a safe, weather proof, good drawing chimney and a smokeless shop. I was also strongly considering an inline exhaust fan which I think is another rout to a truly smokeless shop.

post-7380-0-83491100-1355686250_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-39872900-1355686276_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-91996400-1355686290_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-47949800-1355686310_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-67294300-1355686322_thumb.jp

post-7380-0-94154900-1355686356_thumb.jp

I don't know how this sucker goes out through my roof. Every day my roof stays where it is is considered a blessing;

IMG_0543_zps613136f0.jpg

Or this one, except I know that it leaked into my sand blast cabinet, making it a sludge blast cabinet. It goes out there through the roof somewhere, though;

IMG_0544_zps8f55fe61.jpg