I Forge Iron

Grinding, dressing anvil edges by traditional English smiths

I seem to remember reading somewhere that traditional English smiths would leave a couple of inches of the edge of the anvil just behind the table/horn unground.  They would leave this area sharp and use it to hot-cut instead of using hand-held hot-cut or hardy tool.  Has anyone else ever heard of this or seen examples?  Or did I just dream it? 

Don't know about "traditional English smiths" but I know a lot of smiths who have used an edge for cutting. Usually not right behind the table as that's generally close to the sweet spot and they wanted to be able to use that area without worrying about cold shuts.

(Of course it could be that on the heel the edges tend to star sharper anyway and so they used what was there already)

I have tried using a shearing blow to cut small stock near the heel of my anvil, but over the body.  A shearing blow is where the hammer is exactly off the anvil, and strikes the stock that is on the anvil.  This parts the material.  I have only been successful with real small stuff, 1/4 inch, if you find references to this in old texts they only recommend it for small stock, less than 1/2 inch.

I use a hot cut because my hammer control is not always perfect and dressing a hardy is easy.  I also fear damaging my anvil do to a mis-strike.

I have also tried pinching the metal into a deep fuller in the same manner, but since my anvil does not have perfect edges the result is not very neat or quick. 

I use a hot cut because the results are better and quicker.

As for dressing an anvil there is a nice FAQ on Anvilfire.com

Phil

I've used the anvil edge as a fuller with a straight or cross peen hammer to work an equal and opposite side fuller into a piece like the blade-tang transition for a knife. It does take precision hammering to get them matching. I find it much easier to use the swing arm fuller I built---but it's not always to hand at a demo.

And as I *often* say: "There Is Only *ONE* Right Way To Do Blacksmithing; And That Is: ANY WAY THAT WORKS!"