I Forge Iron

coal crushing

smithy247

Just put them on the fire and get them hot. Whack it with a poker and they should break apart.

Otherwise a hammer works well. As HWooldridge says, a burlap sack saves the pieces.

There are several Blueprints on how to build a fire.
BP0036 Fire and Smoke 01
BP0037 Fire and Smoke 02
BP0042 Fire and Smoke 03
BP0045 Fire and Smoke 04
BP0046 Fire and Smoke 05
BP0048 Fire and Smoke 06
BP0137 Fire Starter
there may be other Blueprints on the same subject

I made this in Thailand to crush large chunks of Native Charcoal for forge use. Don't see why it won't work on Soft Coal.

1. Find a 3 or 4 foot long piece of 5 inch ID pipe. Mark into 3rds length wise.

2. Cut off 1/3

3. Cut 8 pieces if 3/16 by 1 1/4 flat 5 inches long and notch ever inch as shown, a tad over half way thru.
crusherA.jpg

4. Assemble by sliding notches together as shown and welding all joints well. then cut to fit inside of pipe and weld securely to pipe inside.
crusherB.jpg

5. Weld on bottom third of pipe and cut out two sides (1/4 of pipe circumfrence as shown and weld a plate on bottom larger than pipe.
crusherC.jpg

6. Make a rammer out of shafting and weld on a round plate that will fit inside of pipe loosely.

7. Set crusher in a substantial tub or bucket and feed coal in top, place rammer in and stomp coal, largest size will be 1 inch, rake pieces out thru holes and do it again.

At the historical park I worked at, we placed large chunks of stove coal (one pound or better) in a old wagon tire on a concrete slab and pounded it with a short piece of railroad rail welded to a piece of pipe for a tamper. The iron tire held most of the "flyers" in place, untill it was removed and we used a shovel for clean up.

At the historical park I worked at, we placed large chunks of stove coal (one pound or better) in a old wagon tire on a concrete slab and pounded it with a short piece of railroad rail welded to a piece of pipe for a tamper. The iron tire held most of the "flyers" in place, untill it was removed and we used a shovel for clean up.

same with me ,a cart tire ,and a tamper made out of 1ins plate 9ins sq with the old frost studs we used for the draft horses welded on the bottom, we had small sacks of the frost studs left over from the work horse days ,the studs cut the coal rather than pound it to dust and keep it a uniform size.

I would second Glenns idea of getting it on the fire and coking it. Whenever I am forging, I am always making coke. I have an area at the back of the forge where I can shovel the extra coke to, and when I, or any of the other smiths go to start the fire, we just drag some of the coke into the firepot. This way you will always start a fire with coke, not coal.

Dave

I agree with DMS. You always have the capability of storing at least a few lumps of coke to start your next fire with. If your forge table isn't large enough to store coke on, you can dedicate a bucket (steel :) ) in the forging area to drop a few chunks of coke into as you think about it.

I feel very fortunate that I don't have these problems to deal with. The coal I use comes in the proper size and is very good quality for smithing. It comes from the Sewell Vein in West (BG) Virginia via the Green Valley Coal Co. (The old Lady H Mine) -- Leivasy, WV. 1-304-846-6600. A group of us get a truckload (20+ ton) delivered when needed. With the price of fuel nowadays, I suspect the next shipment will cost a lot more.