I Forge Iron

Ignorant man buy Post Vise!

Nomad

Ok all, I recently purchased the post vise below($20). It seems to be pretty complete but of course I know almost nothing about these tools. Several parts actually move as they should but the gears are all frozen. I have sprayed it down with a good penetrating spray and unscrewed all the bolts and screws without too much trouble. It appears that most the parts are cast so I

2507.attach

2508.attach

2509.attach

Use a good penetrating oil on the shafts, then lightly tap the wheel or cog you need to remove. It may take several applications to get the part to move at all. Sometimes, heat will free up frozen parts. Also see the blueprint on rust removal, that may work.

Also, That is the wildest looking post vise I have ever seen, Most people I know call them post drills....WINK!

All kidding aside, get it freed up, make a table column and table, and start using it. You'll like it, they are fun to tinker with.

Get a big enough water tight container to hold the "drill", Put the drill in it and fill it full of diesel fuel. Sit it out of harms way for a week or so and then pull it out and try to work everything. That should free it up. If a big enough container can't be found soak rags in diesel fuel, spray the whole drill with diesel fuel and then wrap it in the soaked rags. Check everyday and keep the drill and rags soaked.
Be sure to do this outside away from flammables. I've never had one catch fire due to spontaneous combustion but I don't want to read about it in the papers either.

John

Cover it up so the cats don't fall in it. (Don't ask me how I know this):rolleyes:

I recently purchased the post vise
Your post vise looks remarkably like a drill.

Spray it with penetrating oil twice a day. Bump it with a wooden mallet before each application of the penetrating oil and be patient.

If you haven't used oil on it yet,try iodine.It sounds weird but it works.Learned that method from the curator of the Fort Nelson museum,Marl Brown.If you have used oil already the iodine doesn't work very well.

No wonder it won't clamp anything....:rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I'll try to get my new post drill up and running!

BW- boy that looks just like it except I think mine is a little smaller (doesn't feel like 95#s) what catalog was that in?

Nomad

If you are in a hurry get an Ice chest that it will fit into and put dry ice around it. then add alocohol to get contact on the inner parts. let it set for several hours and get really cold, remove and gently start moving everything that ought to and use a penetrating oil once it does. I freed up a blower this way that 3 weeks of kerosene soaking a can of PB'laster heat and gentle and not so gentle applications of force could not move. 12 hours in dry ice and alcohol and it was turning almost as soon as I tried it.

I allow you'll realize this is very cold.

• 1 month later...