I Forge Iron

Hello, name's Dave.

DRoberts

33yr old from Guthrie Oklahoma, married, 6 m/o baby girl. Avid outdoorsman & DIY enthusiast. 

I was about 10 years old the first time I worked steel into the shape of a sword & ever since then it's been a lifelong dream of mine to take up smithing.

Well, last year the wife & I had our first home built on a patch of woods (bout 3 acres) and my dream can finally be realized. 

This evening I'll be chainsawing out a spot in the woods for my smithy. Hopefully within 6 months I'll be fully operational.

I look forward to sharing knowledge with you all as I grow into this skill set.

20111005-094952.jpg?w=942

Welcome to IFI. There are several articles on building a smithy, as well as a knife section on the site.

Design the building you want and then double the dimensions. Then add 1/2 again to the size. This should get you enough room for you and the craft to grow. (grin). Design for floor anchor points to pull things into the building, an over head crane/lifting system, and a jib crane at the entrance. Design for a heated floor, indoor plumbing/bathroom, and way too much head room, as there will be a project that is 8-9 feet tall and you will need the head room to lift it.

Better yet, build an aircraft hanger that you can fit a C-130 into and still get the doors closed. (BIG GRIN).

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!

Ok, ya need to hook up with the Saltfork Craftsmen and Artist Blacksmith Assoc. !!  www.saltforkcraftsmen.org is their site to find meetings near you. Also, start making plans to attend their annual conference held in Perry, OK...fairly close to you btw. There are several active members near you and any one of them would be glad to let you come by and "play in the fire" with them. If you are ever near Longview, TX give me a holler, my shop is always open.