I Forge Iron

Attaching glass to mirrors.

Chancellor

I'm sure this is an easy one for most of you more experienced smiths, but I haven't been able to think up a really good way to do it. The easiest way I've thought of is to rivet bar stock to the mirror frame an eighth inch in, with rotating pieces to hold the glass in... But that doesn't sound like a very good method, especially for a thin frame or one where you don't want rivets on the front.

So using traditional methods, how would one do it? Pictures would help greatly, as I find written descriptions hard to understand. Even reading my own description above, I don't think I would quite understand it :P

"traditional methods" so we're talking about wood and leather not steel?

As mentioned you will need something with some give to it as steel and glass do not expand and contract the same amount due to temperature changes.

What did your local glass installer recommend when you asked them? Asking an expert in the field might be a better idea than asking folks that don't specialize in it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

To give a rough I idear about what I have in mind, I'll give a link to Ian Eddy's blacksmith shop: http://www.ianeddyblacksmith.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IEB&Product_Code=2027&Category_Code=Mirrors

I'm not looking to copy his design, but I think mirrors are a great idea.

And I suppose the same question could be applied to the screens of fireplace screens. How to attach them?

And thinking back at my last two questions, I should probably get my application to the North Texas Blacksmith's Association in.

I have had similar problems attaching glass and mirrors.  I usually add a section that is hidden by the mirror and weld a 10-32 nut.  To this I use a glass clamp to hold the object.  I use felt to pad the glass.  I also try to use at least 4 clamps, 6 is better.  Do not tighten them.  Leave them loose enough for the glass to move slightly for thermal movement.  Depending on the design, the forged metal work can hide the clamp.  I have not tried to attach the glass to the metal with calk or RTV but that is an option.  Mock up something and try several things and see what works best with your design.

Use glazing compound.  Glazing points are just for assembly and maybe when the compound gets really old and starts falling out.  Some basement windows I reglazed had some wire welded or brazed in that was bent over the glass to act as a glazing point.

Silicone is just fine too, but you have to let it set up before putting it to service.

There should be no metal-glass contact so lay a thin bead of the compound of your choice on the frame, then set the glass, then use more to seal it into the frame.

Phil