I Forge Iron

Suggestions for new shop tools

baddog

Well my cheap floor drill press broke the shaft this weekend and I have decided to look for some new tools for my shop. I was not very happy with the drill press. It was ok for wood but had a tough time drilling through even small plate steel. I also want to replace my taiwaneese bench grinder. It justs bogs down with light pressure.
I was looking for some suggestions from you guys and gals about what you have purchased recently and how they are working out. I have read a lot of good reviews on the Ryobi 6" bench grinder, but I don't know anyone who has one and if it is a good grinder.
I wouldn't mind a benchtop drill press if it is a good one. Of course money is always a consideration , but a few hundred for something that will last many years is worth it in my opinion.

If you want a grinder, drop the 6" bench-mount idea and go with a professional knife-maker's belt grinder.  I built mine from plans available on line and can't believe what a difference it makes in the shop!

http://usaknifemaker.com/grinders-sanders-all-kinds-c-99/no-weld-grinder-plans-download-4901.html

Buying all the various wheels can get pricey in a hurry, but the basic body is easily fabricated out of scrap pieces you have laying around.  The best part, though, is that these things are incredibly adaptable and it only takes a second or two to switch from one belt to the next.   Grinds the heaviest metals or the softest woods with ease!  Hands down, the best investment I've made in years.... and my old 6" bench grinder hasn't been turned on in years!

If you decide to stick with a bench grinder with the stone wheels, shoot me a PM.  I'm not using mine and will let it go cheap!!

It is difficult for me to be without a drillpress. I use one of those jerkanese models with a horse and a half, has two belts that generall allow you to do most anything necessary. But hey..I would rather have one of those belt driven (wide belt) with an already adapted single phase motor. with those thing you can drill 1 1/2 all day long. i also have a milling machine that doubles as a drill press for accuracy although it will not drill large holes.

Carry on