I Forge Iron

newcomer from Iceland

Dabbsterinn

Hello, i am quite new to forging, and have only fiddled around with small wires and a campfire, but i just literally hauled my anvil in just a few minutes ago, and hope to be able to find a log and put the anvil on it so can make a small ax.
nearly all of my knowledge about forging comes from youtube and this site, i hope to learn more in the coming weeks.
my goal is to make a Damascus steel knife
and, if you have any tips and tricks for someone who just started, please tell me in the comments

post-29278-0-36649400-1354371175_thumb.j

post-29278-0-83034900-1354371179_thumb.j

post-29278-0-75074100-1354371182_thumb.j

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Be patient, it takes time to build the skills necessary to forge blades successfully but it's not a lifetime's work to get there. AND don't forget, we love answering questions, a good question is a joy, I learn more answering questions than you'd believe. We'll be more than happy to answer whatever we can even if we have to make things up. <grin>

This is off topic but Iceland has a spot in my heart, we have an Icelandic sheep dog cross name of Abby who was one of the dogs that saved my life 3 years ago, then she helped me recover and is now a registered therapy dog and my wife's service dog. About 1 1/2 years ago Deb bought a pedigreed Icelandic Sheep dog we call Falki He's a great dog except for the peircing bark and his need to alert us of any changes, ANY, he alerts us repeatedly is it snows or we move a vehicle. Super dogs.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Be patient, it takes time to build the skills necessary to forge blades successfully but it's not a lifetime's work to get there. AND don't forget, we love answering questions, a good question is a joy, I learn more answering questions than you'd believe. We'll be more than happy to answer whatever we can even if we have to make things up. <grin>

This is off topic but Iceland has a spot in my heart, we have an Icelandic sheep dog cross name of Abby who was one of the dogs that saved my life 3 years ago, then she helped me recover and is now a registered therapy dog and my wife's service dog. About 1 1/2 years ago Deb bought a pedigreed Icelandic Sheep dog we call Falki He's a great dog except for the peircing bark and his need to alert us of any changes, ANY, he alerts us repeatedly is it snows or we move a vehicle. Super dogs.

Frosty The Lucky.
thank you, and could you tell me where i can learn how to make damascus steel?