I Forge Iron

building a brick forge, looking for advise

neg

I plan on building a new brick forge sometime soon. I plan on building it in my shed, which has wood (T1-11) walls. I can't take the chimney through my roof, so I was planning on building it up, then through my wall, then back up over the roof. I've never built this kind of thing myself before, so I was hoping for some advise on how to bring the chimney through my wall (or if it's even a good idea to). I really don't want to burn down my shed, so any advice anybody could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Build a brick base, then add a side draft. It is really the only way to it. You can put two 90 bends in a brick chimney. You could however cover the metal of the side draft with brick if you so wanted to. Heck you might even be able to build the inside part of it out of brick.

Speak to your insurance company first and build to their requirments. Here in the Uk all things like this are goverened by HETAS regulations and without certification from this body your insurance won't cover you in the case of a fire. That's certainly the case for chimneys in houses for woodburners and open fires not sure about sheds and forges. There is some new legislation on chimneys in thatched properties that may be comparable to a wooden shed in terms of its willingness to combust. I think a lot of HETAS' stipulations are a bit over the top, a real belt and braces job but insaying that you don't want to loose a shed full of tools and get told by your insurer that they aren't going to pay out!

I wish my shop was this clean again.
I did not show the forge fire pot as many will use other styles than I did so that part is up to you to design, I will say put the edge of the firepot next to the smoke opening part of the chimney, this is the way side drafts works. I used 12"x12" clay tile for the flue. Also the extra area(towards the shop center) is a recessed area next to the firepot that will hold 50lbs of coal for easy access. Also I use an electric blower that is piped throught the hole under the smoke opening into the bottom of the firepot.

Brick Forge Blue Print:
http://www.iforgeiron.com/page/index.html/_/blueprints/100-series/bp0553-building-a-brick-forge-r1094

post-280-0-94705800-1354237893_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm most of the way done with my forge. I still need to build the chimney, but I think it's coming along great for my first atempt at masonry. :P I've fired it up once and it worked great. I'm not used to my metal getting so hot so fast, I pulled out a piece and it was dripping. I'll have to watch that. :P

post-27440-0-61596800-1356020921_thumb.j

I didn't really draw anything up, I pretty much winged it. I started with the legs, then after they dried I build a wooden form about 2 inhes from the top and poured a concrete slab 4 inches thick (with a lot of metal in it). Oh, and when I ported the concrete I made sure to stick a 2" flange right into it and left a hole above it for the air. That way I could screw on the metal pipe underneath. Then I just layed the bricks out on top how I wanted it. It was pretty simple.