I Forge Iron

box jaw tongs - a video tutorial

Daniel Lea (AKA 99pppo)

Hey Guys,

in this very video I explain the procedure to make box jaw tongs that fit for 25x10mm flat bar.

Due to the fact that a lot of people saw TechnicusJoe´s tongs videos to be mirrored in my video I watched his and yes, I can also see the similarities. But this must have happened unconsciously and I, although I sure have been influenced by his work, did not try to copy him on purpose. My main source for the box jaw tongs and the welded on rains was Mark Aspery´s video, for the flat jaw tong what I was taught in France and for the drawing out Brian Brazeal´s video. The purpose of this video is to show people that are keen to learn the technique to make a pair of box jaw tongs and I think it - as well as Joe´s videos do - suits that purpose very well. I took to note that this problem is in place and I will watch out for it in future videos. But I don´t need ten or more additional people tell me this over and over again ;).

That being said I hope you will have fun and benefit from watching it ^_^.

Yours
- Daniel

I love your video. I love Joe's video. You each have your own style. The purpose of all this is to build. There is enough recognition out there for everyone to bask in that sunshine of accolades. Please by all means carry on!
Yes, for me it is all about the art and the craft and that is all what counts for me!

Nice video. Thank you very much.

For a noobasaurus like myself, it was very helpful to see your approach to this for two reasons: Your explanations helped put some of the pieces of the puzzle together and brought concepts I had read about into more fuller understanding (the welding part, especially).

The other was that, at least in my case, I saw you doing a few things that I do, like drawing out and rounding the reins, in a way very similar to how I do it, that lends great encouragement that I am at least heading in the right direction. It is reassuring to see that someday, with quite a bit more practice, I might actually develop something that vaguely resembles competence. :)

Thanks again. Please keep making these. I find them to be most pleasing and enjoyable.

I would make one suggestion, when forge welding you need a much larger fire you are getting down to the air supply your fire pot was less than full. better to have a bee hive effect so your metal heats up evenly. great video good content
I agree, it is just very hard to have a fire that is clean and big at the same time. It worked well this way also, I have a very very large fire pot so half full is more than full on the most pots I saw yet. But thank you for your advise, when I have to weld bigger pieces I will rememer it!

I really appreciate you making this video. It was clear and well explained. Did the drawing take much longer than the welding?
Unless you are very skilled and efficient in drawing out, welding on the rains goes much faster, you get a smoother finish and you need much less energy. Downside of welding is the risk of a welding failure or that the weld breaks later. If you are very efficient in drawing out, have one or more striker(s) to help you or a mechanical hammer, I suppose you go for drawing out. If you have to work alone and without help I suppose you weld the rains on.