I Forge Iron

First anvil and three quarters...

Hi,

Just started smithing and picked up an anvil today. It was rusty and caked in crud but I think it looks OK? It is about 31" long and it weighs about 290 lb based on my bathroom scales. I am sure they are not too accurate, especially at that weight. The face has some dings but does not look terrible. Few markings on it. There is "12" stamped on one side and either "HH" or "HK" stamped on the other side? Paid 92 British pounds which I think was OK. Also bought another broken anvil for 20 British pounds (with a pile of weights thrown in) - been drinking and it seemed a good idea at the time. The heal is missing but the face and horn look ok. Will clean up and can use as a basher. That one is about 130 lb. I know nothing about anvils so I hope I have done ok....

Picking up a leg vice next weekend so hope that is also ok. That has 6" jaws and look solid enough. That was 20 British pounds so no biggie if it is no good.

Would be curious if anybody can identify the manufacturer and age...
BW BM.

post-28875-0-99292700-1353866104_thumb.j

post-28875-0-93021500-1353866317_thumb.j

post-28875-0-69425200-1353866330_thumb.j

It is my 40th birthday present in about 3 weeks time but seeing as how it won't be easy to wrap and seeing as how it probably has not felt hot metal for a very long time it would be rude not to have played today. The wooden block is too high so I need will fabricate something better that I can also move about on a sack truck. My garage gets lots of use so I can't afford to have an anvil in the middle of the floor all the time.

BM

Looking at it again and looking on the web at some pics the 12 is in the right so is lbs. There is a faint 2 on the left so that's 2 x 112 lbs. Based on my bathroom scales I thought about 290lb. That leaves a discrepancy of 50lb. I expect the middle number must be a 2 for 56 lb bringing the weight to 292 lb. Maybe my bathroom scales are quite accurate :)

BM

I have a Powell that missing the heel but has a fine face and is a great anvil particularly teaching the strong but un-skilled students as I don't worry about them damaging it!

That big one has about as fine a face as can be expected on a used anvil---please don't muck with it!

*great price on the big one BTW and my Powell ran me US$40 (for a appx 120# anvil!) back in the 1990's so I think that was a good price on the broken one too!