I Forge Iron

Champion with a model 50 blower

don schad

Hi all,

I am considering driving to get a forge with a Champion model 50 blower/rheostat which hasn't been turned on in 10-20 years. It was stored inside nearly all this time, the last year or so under a tarp. It is a 115V model.

Exactly six questions [Edited: was "a couple"]:

Is there anything I should do prior to turning it on to ensure that it doesn't fry itself after the long sitting? Anything I should make sure is cleaned out, etc? Is there anything the sitting idle can do to make such a model not work? Apparently it need a new cord externally.

Also I can't seem to find good pictures of a model 50, so I was wondering if it is possible/straight forward to replace the motor should this be required? Can the motor be removed and a new (modern) one be swapped in without much trouble? It would be nice to use the actual blower casing/fan should the motor be no-good.

Finally, I'm also not sure of the years when a model 50 blower was produced with the rheostat. Anyone have any comments on the production times for this? It is mounted to what looks like a pressed sheet forge with angle legs (not cast).

Thanks for any input,

don

Edited by steve sells

Hey Don,

Before you try this make sure that the blower is NOT plugged in. Spin the motor by hand and listen for any grinding scraping sounds. If it has sat up for a long time the brushes may sound kind of rough. spinning it by hand may clean them up. Check all of the power cord. Look for frayed insulation or dry cracked insulation.
If it looks good and spins freely then I would say give it a go.

If you still feel concern prior to plugging it in, find a motor rewind shop and have them look at it for you.

PS. a "Couple" of questions is 2, not 6. :)
Just kidding. Ask all you want.

Mark <><

PS. a "Couple" of questions is 2, not 6. :)

Psycological tricks - if I had said "a long list of questions" would you have kept on reading? I had to get my toe in the door. ;)

Thanks for the four recommendations (but who's counting, right?).

Thanks,

don

to protect your LIFE from electricution from faulty wiring, make sure the electric is coming from a GFCI protectout outlet, but you already knew that, as in the USA and most other paces, all out door recepticles are required to be protected this was RIght :D

Hi all,

I picked up the forge and blower and was successful in getting it working. I replaced the cord, which had decayed such that it was nearly bare copper and thread. post-3041-0-69420200-1353985421_thumb.jp The motor spun well when turned by hand via the impeller, but when was putting it back together I noticed that I could barely turn it without the leverage from the blades (i.e. couldn't rotate it using just my fingers and the shaft). The oil holes to the motor shaft appear to have been clogged, so I pulled it apart and oiled everything until it spun nicely by hand and put it back together. It was pretty gummy in there. In the end it fired up nicely and the speed control works well from full speed down to barely moving. It is very quiet and smooth running, I am very happy with it post-3041-0-49764900-1353985456_thumb.jp .

Thanks for the comments.

don

Yes, I ended up doing pretty well. I picked up a hearth/blower/champion whirlwind tuyere on my way to get turkey last week. The table was loaded with about 600# of firebrick (I could not lift it out of the truck with my tractor until I removed the first course of bricks).post-3041-0-98213800-1354118491_thumb.jp

A bit rusty but I have removed all the bricks and am going to clean it up. The fire bricks trapped a lot moisture between them and the table/firepot so there is some heavy rust on the table, but it is still pretty solid (Didn't collapse under all those bricks).

don