I Forge Iron

A couple firsts.

Sam Salvati

Everyone has seen my forged, wrapped handle, ring hilt knives, and my ATTEMPT at a through tang peened butt cap knife(hehe). But recently, I finally tried my hand at doing some slab handles, my very first try. I also on the same knife tried welding a carbon steel edge to a mild steel body and tang. I was gonna do it san mai, but wanted to try this first before possibly wasting good steel. it was my 4th forge weld, and it stuck perfectly! I dang near fainted when i hammered on the seam and it didn't just flop to either side! So it is a knife, welded on 1075 edge to a mild steel body, with zebra wood pinned slabs, 3 pins and a lanyard hole. the epoxy dried last night, and I am gonna grind the handle clean up tommorrow(hopefully). And after that polish and post somepictures, I know I did things a bit backwards, but I learned firsthand what I did wrong, so will be able to do much better next time. On one side you can clearly see the seam(started with a 1/2 inch wide peice of 1075 on a 1 inch wide peice of mild steel) on the one side, but on the other all you'll see is the seam when it is etched, it is a cool sort of yin yang thing.

2388.attach

2389.attach

2390.attach

Thanks guys. Chris, the rivets are added cold, I don;t think riveted on handles are ever done hot. What yah do is, drill the holes in the tang and the handle slabs, leaving the holes in the tang slightly oversized than the pin stock you are using. Then spread epoxy on the tang and slabs, then stick them together. Get some epoxy on the pins, then insert them in each of the pin holes. Clamp the slabs firmly to the tang using c clamps. The pins will sort of settle and self center in the holes, that's what I was told, and how I did it/do it. No peening is needed, the epoxy holds everything firmly and tight, and peening might damage your wood/bone/whatever.

Thanks, Sam. I like epoxy and use it a lot. Makes sense the way you put it.

Just a thought. Have you ever seen saw handle nuts and bolts like those used in hand saws? They are designed to look like rivets but can be unscrewed. Some are decorative with fancy cast heads. They would be good for a real big knife, like a machete.

Christopher

Iron Puppet, I bought a Machete at Walmart a couple years ago, and after a few months the handle began to break off. I tore it off the tang and made my own out of wood. I was going to rivit it on, but then my dad told me about those bolts. They work really well, and I can just unscrew them if I need to remove the handle for whatever reason. I get home from school on Monday, I'll post a couple of pics of what it looks like. I bought the bolts at my local hardware store, I'm sure they shouldn't be too hard to find.