I Forge Iron

Quick Question - What to use to secure Kaowool to coffee can?

strgraw

Hey all!

I'm working on a smaller gas forge made out of a coffee can. I have high temp kaowool that I plan to line about an inch around in the gas forge. However, I am having troubles keeping the kaowool from falling - it is only 1/4" thick so I am circling the interior 4 times to get the desired thickness.

Any help on how I can secure the kaowool so that it won't keep collapsing down? Is there like a high temp adhesive, or maybe just refractory cement or something?

Thanks!

strgraw,

Here is one trick you can try:

• Get some thin gauge steel or stainless steel wire, probably 18, 20 or 24 gauge, or so. You can also use regular picture hanging wire from a craft store.
  • On your coffee can, drill pairs of holes about 1/4" or 1/2" apart. The holes should be just big enough to pass the wire through.
  • Then, pass the wire through one hole, hook it through some kaowool, and pass the wire back out the 2nd hole. (Just don't let the wire poke through into the forge interior -- it will burn through when you run the forge, and let go the kaowool.)
  • Finally twist the ends of the wire to hold it on, and cut off any excess.

Put as many of these on your coffee can as you need to hold the kaowool.

I have used this method to "sew" kaowool to expanded metal. It's cheap and easy and works great.

All the best
Markus

Wire is a good way to hold kaowool in place. If you use wire, I would recommend you get some hi-temp wire like Nichrome. Just Google "Nichrome wire" and you will see several sources you can purchase it.

If you are going to put a reflective coating (like ITC-100) on your kaowool, there is another option. You can use Sodium Silicate. It works like a glue. It can be used to glue thermal blanket to the shell and also glue multiple layers of blanket together. It will break down and fail unless the thermal blanket has a coating. Sodium Silicate can be bought in liquid form from ceramic suppliers (Google for it).

Your third option is to use one inch kaowool, and just stuff it in your case tight (cut it a little longer than you need and bunch it in). It will hold itself in. You can buy small quantities of one inch thermal blanket on eBay.

Good luck with your project.

• 1 year later...

I'm getting ready to build a new rather large forge 5"H 9"W 24"L. Being able to keep the insulating blanket connected the the FLAT roof has been a bit of a puzzle until I read this post. The forge will need to be able to open up on both ends and allow access thru the side as well for large furniture size parts. I have a small VERY inefficient little forge like this now and know I need this type of access. I don't do any forge welding ( at least when I do I don't heat in the gas forge).

I've been studying this idea for about six months and this is the last of the puzzle for me. any OTHER thoughts on retaining the blanket besides the nicrome wire stiching to a stainless steel expanded metal sub-liner, or screws from the outside?

I'm hoping to make this as fuel efficient as possible by using the "2 blanket, good coatings and burners possible. Expecting to use 3 rex style hybrid burners with individual controls and a floating back end block to be able to use only the space I need by the way.

Thanks 

A friend of mine builds forges that are oval, wider than high.  He soaks the Kaowool in a thin mix of mizzou  and presses it into place and lets it dry.  The machine screw from the outside works well with this technique.  Even if the tip of the screw pokes through it hardly makes any difference.  The tip will burn away, but the rest of the screw is still imbedded in the Kaowool.

Geoff