I Forge Iron

Can anyone ID this?

Howdy,

I picked this anvil up between Ottawa and Montreal. I understand it is English. I cannot see any markings. Can anyone provide any information on this anvil?

I was also wondering how best to clean it up and prepare it for work?

Cheers,

post-28187-0-30555300-1351024968_thumb.j

What do you have access to? A wire wheel on an angle grinder will do great; but requires you wear ppe for flung wires and dust. If you have a electrolysis set up you could use that or A belt sander---all you really need to clear off is the faces and the top's of the horns. Or you could soak it totally immersed in vinegar and after a week or so hose it off under as much pressure as you can manage.

Or you can just start using it and hammering red hot metal on it will gradually clean off the crud.

Me I wire brush when I have to of course I have a 9" industrial angle grinder that does an excellent barbell impression when I use it.

Welcome aboard Filip glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in your header you might be pleasantly surprised at how many folk on IFI live within easy visiting distance.

What a SCORE! While cleaning it up is really tempting it isn't necessary, just using it will clean and polish the face and horns in short order and rust isn't going to affect the body at all. So long as it doesn't continue of course, warming it up and waxing it will stop the rust. Of course painting it with Naval Jelly will revert the rust to iron and leave a phosphate oxide black patina that will take wax and look good.

If you dissolve the wax in turpentine to the consistency of shoe polish you don't need to get things as hot to apply it properly. This is a pretty traditional finish for forged items, bees wax being more traditional that parafin though both work nicely.

Frosty The Lucky.

Another way to clean up rusty metal is to use an auto polisher with a wire brush. It's much safer than an angle grinder because
it rotates considerably slower and doesn't throw sharp wires all over. Also its very useful for polishing hot metal and leaving a beautiful dark blue shiny finish. I have an old Milwaukee
auto polisher I picked up on craigslist which is used to clean up everything.

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate all the information. I was a little worried that the corrosion needed to be managed ASAP. The fellow whom I purchased it from suggested wire brush and paint.

I don't have a scale at home, but I'd say this sucker is in the 150lbs range. Here are a couple more pics:

post-28187-0-43200400-1351032411_thumb.j

post-28187-0-35408700-1351032415_thumb.j

Getcherself some new sharp green scotchbrite and some Marvel Mystery Oil. Gloves good too. The anvil will clean up nicely. Be patient and scrub the body of the anvil refreshing scotchbrite as it gets worn. Hammering on the face of course (with hot steel or iron ) will do that job for you. good find. One side has a ledge, one not.

I have a post of a 260 lb. peter wright, double horn in this forum. The differences i see are, the hardy and pritchel are on the same side on my peter wright double. This one is on opposite sides. Also, the characteristic step in the base is not present on your double. I really don't know, but it is a beautiful anvil yuo got there.