I Forge Iron

an odd handle modification.

I have been working with a local, professional smith. When I picked up one of his hammers (after a prompt) I noticed there was a cut in it on the last 8 inches of the handle, straight up through the handle where I would normally grip it. When I asked him about it he said it acted to take up some of the vibration and save his arm and elbow. 'Said it worked wonders. The cut was in a horizontal orientation if you were holding the hammer to strike a blow. Has anyone else heard of this?

I used that hammer for about 2.5 hrs and it didn't seem to irritate my hand at all, or feel all that weird either. It wasn't a large gap, it looked like he just used a band saw to zip up it real quick. Just enough for there to be a bit of play in the handle.

Good Morning,

I've seen the handles with a cut from near the head, back about 6". The handles with this cut aren't very heavy/thick. When I asked about it, I was told that it allows the head to wip a little bit. it also takes some of the sudden shock out of the handle. More flex!! I guess we all need a little flex in our joints :) :)

Neil

Dear Bionicarm,

Were you wearing gloves when you used it or were you bare handed? I'd have some concerns about pinching the skin if the split worked with the vibration. You're the one who used it, though. I'm just speculating. I do have some emotional reservations about cutting/weakening my tools.

Thanks,
George M.

George, I was bare handed, don't like gloves. I didn't get pinched at all, the slit is very narrow, the width of one band saw blade I suspect. I was only aware of it when I thought about it, even then it was not uncomfortable, just different.

I agree with your thoughts on cutting your tools, this is just what this guy does and I thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else did it.