I Forge Iron

A couple of forging videos..

Matthew Paul

• 3 weeks later...

It is nice to see you actively working to avoid pounding scale into your blade. I have a stool near my anvil to set such tools on so I don't need to pick them up off the floor. I suppose it an old age deal.

Thank you Sir. I had a hook on my old anvil/stand that I dont really use anymore. I suppose that I should change it over to this stump or make something for my hammer rack.

Great videos Matthew, would love to see some more. What kind of steel did you use for the drifter? How thick was the stock? And one more question, what do you use for a quench oil? Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you, that's nice to hear! I used 3/16" thick and 1 1/4" tall 1095. I use McMaster Carr 11 sec oil/ Super Brand Quenchfast. No worries on the questions.

And thanks oakwoodironworks!

Cool :) I'm pretty new to forging knives but I do have a good "love hate" relationship with 1095. It took me a while to nail the heat treat and I still ended up losing a few blades. Have you had your blades hardness tested? I had some of my test pieces tested and I got the best results out of water quenching but I don't have any commercial quench oils so my tests were with ATF (I knew from the get go that it wouldn't cool it fast enough) canola oil and water. I didn't try brine because water was being mean enough to my blades lol.

Why did you loose them? due to cracking while water quenching?

I have not had my blades tested. I do know though, how to temper for the hardness that I am looking for. What # it is on any scale, I couldent tell you. You can cool 1095 fast enough in oils though. I warm my quench oil prior to hardening.

I have hardened blades without issue in motor oils, veg oils, etc... It is not what I use now but have in the past.

You dont need to reach the maximum hardness allowed by physics, in my opinon. You do however need to learn the setup/process that you are using, and be able to reliably repeat it or adjust it according to the tool and what it will be used for.