I Forge Iron

Interesting little anvil

I picked up an unusual anvil today- its a rail anvil, made to fit over a railroad track. Its face is 9in wide x 8in long and 8.5in tall, weighs about 80lbs.
Its cast steel and has about a 50% redound, about like a piece of rail track. Postman mentions these in AIA and has one picture. Doesn't say much else tho.

I'm assuming its the same quality of steel as a rail track and could be heat treated. If any of you know more about them I would appreciate your thinking on heat treating it.

post-25611-0-50765700-1350321288_thumb.j

post-25611-0-53957900-1350321295_thumb.j

post-25611-0-14685700-1350321306_thumb.j

I think its ductile iron, has a ring but not a great one and sparks better than cast but not like steel. The old fellow I got it from trades alot in old railroad stuff and he had several. He thought it was
steel but obviously it isn't. Oh well, tried it out this afternoon with some heavy gauge steel and that wide of a platform works nicely. Didn't have to give much for it so it'll be handy without remorse.

real handy for some tasks. I knew a 5th generation blacksmith in Stroud OK that had one of the old bridge anvils used in the oilpatch to repoint cable tool drill bits. As is common for them the face was beat to heck. So he built a frame for it and flipped it upside down and used the massive flat base to level plow points on a task he did quite a bit of at one time...

You could have that one surface ground if you ever needed a fairly accurate flat to work off of!

Right on Thomas, I think its going to be handy for small demos too, I can work on that big face without taking up too much room.

- BTW sorry I didn't make it down for the last SWABA meeting at your shop. Sounds like I missed getting to cruise your scrap pile.

Yeah this isn't a bridge anvil. I would assume that AIA is copyrighted. You can probably see a copy at a library. The one in AIA is very similar except that it has a step on one side and a pritchel hole
on the other. Other than that the shape is nearly the same.

Here's one that sold on ebay that is the same as the picture in Postman's AIA. If you don't have an ebay account you may not be able to open the site since its in the
completed auction category. As you can see from my pictures, its different than the ebay/AIA pics. The difference is that ebay anvil and the one in AIA are made to fit over both
narrow and standard gauge tracks. Mine is only for standard gauge tracks.
http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2557

My way of thinking is that it is a jack stand...used to cross the track when a jacks would be inserted onto the top, then lifting a rail car / engine when they had the old oil filled bearings. Now days all rail equiptment has sealed bearings. But I would like to have one myself.

Carry on

• 2 weeks later...

My way of thinking is that it is a jack stand...used to cross the track when a jacks would be inserted onto the top, then lifting a rail car / engine when they had the old oil filled bearings. Now days all rail equiptment has sealed bearings. But I would like to have one myself.

Carry on

I think you are correct as one of the ol timers here in town says the same thing it set over the track and was used to support the old jacks when servicing the ol rail carts not the ones to day .

Sam

• 6 months later...

Did you ever find any solid information on it?

Yeah, its a combination of all the above. These are anvils as Postman suggests and they are jack stands too. Kinda of a multi-purpose tool. they may have seen

other duties, I got this info from an old railroad tool collector who had several different shapes. Guess they changed over time and were made by different manufacturers.

I love the one I have. I keep it on the ground next to my forge and use it when I need to do a quick hit on something or for upsetting larger stock.