I Forge Iron

M.C. silver-steel razor

matei campan

hi all!

It's a lot of time since my last postings, so I think it's time to post something...

so, here's a razor I finished recently, even I started it's making this spring. being busy with other projects, I was working on it from time to time. the hardest thing was to take the time and sharpen it to shave ready. that was a very good surprise to me, every stage of the honing was really straight forward. on some razors I've got sometimes the feeling that I don't know how to hone anymore, very hard to get them shave ready. this one was very easy to hone and even after the 2000 grit it was popping the arm hairs like a charm. I went through each stage with ease, I didn't insist very hard, and after I finished, I put it to some work. the shave was comfortable, even that I've had to adapt myself to the scaleless configuration. I'm aware that the razor could be brought up some more steps in term of sharpness, but even so it already works nice. I shaved 3 times with it without refreshing it's edge on the strop and it was working as et the beginning.
the blade material is "german silver steel", 115CrV3. I made it scaleless mainly because I wanted it to be finished as soon as possible (still too slow), but also to experiment. the grind is something I would call it a 1/4hollow.

here it is:

brici3.jpg

brici7.jpg

brici1an.jpg

brici2an.jpg

thank you

in this case, having to start from a 12mm diameter round stock, I had to forge it to the shape, meaning that I also forged the bevels/wedge. this also cuts some grinder time and I prefer to spend time at the forge than at the grinder. but making a blade by stock removal is as good as a forged one. one advantage of the forging is the ability to adapt, you don't need a full range of different stock sizes to fit the different kinds of blades you make. for example, from a 20mm diameter round stock, you can forge from a camp knife to a tiny razor.