I Forge Iron

Source for L coke

When I was looking for it I email the L-Brand company and the closest spot they had any was at Texas Farrier Supply. I was going to have some shipped to me out here in West Texas and L-Brand quoted me the prices but it was going to be shipped from TFS. I bet that will be the closest for you but you could always email L-Brand and see.

I just ordered and received two 50 lb. bags from Texas Farrier Supply. The problem is the shipping costs. The coke is a reasonable $20/50# bag but UPS shipping is $30/bag from Texas to Colorado.

I spoke with L Brand a year or two ago and, IIRC, they had a large minimum order and referrred me to TFS. Later they contacted me saying that they were having a truck come through Colorado and I could get a minimum order of 500 or 1000# at a reasonable price. That was too much for me but it was nice of them.

Carboniferously,
George M.

L Brand is great stuff. I email them and its hit and miss, i think they get a lot of inquiries. They usually do a good job of letting me know when a shipment is coming through my area. I just bought a ton of coal coke from a blacksmith in Salt Lake City, Utah, it was only $350. I liked the price compared to L Brands, which was twice that, but the quality of L Brand is way better. The size of L Brand is really uniform, the stuff i got is much bigger than i like. After i get through this ton, i am ordering L Brand. I have fished out brake linings, large rocks, mysterious pieces of metal and other swag from the stuff i have, not to mention pieces the size of my head! To me it would be worth the extra $ for L Brand.

Ironstein,
You might try Christensen Brothers in either Provo or Spanish Fork( somewhere in the Provo Valley) I had very good luck with them when I was out there. They also sell pretty consistent sizes,pea,nut,etc. The boys at the Bonniville Forge Council should be able to help with the exact contact info.
Who did you buy the bad stuff from? PM me if you would please, I'm curious.

Daniel

Wow $30 a bag for shipping is quite high. I wanted a few bags to try before buying and the minimum was 500lb. I'm about 320 miles from TFS and with the shipping included it was $28.20 a bag which worked out to $8.20 a bag for shipping. If I were to order a ton or two the shipping was pretty reasonable, I think it got it down to a few dollars a bag. I was in Dallas for other business and got several bags while I was there.

Hi All,
As far as the coke from Christensen Brothers in Spanish Fork Utah they are pretty well done. They don't think they will be getting any more. The last couple of years the coke they have got was alot bigger and dirty lots of misc metals etc in it. I know because I have a couple of tons of it. It's not to bad. But L brand is soo much better. I know I have used it also. I have none of it left. :( Anyway the next time you want to order from L Brand Ironstein I would go in on a ton or so. I also have heard that some of the blacksmiths from Bonneville Forge Council may also go in on a order to get a better cost. Anyway I am just over the mountain from you Ironsein in American Fork.

Well, the wife was in town today running errands so she swung by Centaur in New Braunfels and picked up 3 bags of coke. It was not labeled "L" brand (or anything else for that matter) but is definitely derived from coal as it's easy to see the origin. We'll see how it burns tomorrow. Was $22.95 per 50 lbs.

The LBrand from TFS was in a plain white woven plastic bags with no markings.

That's also what this was packaged in - I used some yesterday and it burns HOT! I build my fire with coal then feed it with coke as it burns down. Makes the coke last longer and fire stays cleaner.

• 2 months later...

You might try ; C.C. Sutton-Coal Sales,  over at Gunter Texas.  75058  ph.  214-505-0537.  I was over ther and picked up some coal at his ware house.  Big space just full of coal and coke.

Try a call, he usually answers right up   Some of the guys in the NTBA use the coke and like it a lot.  I myself have only burned it a couple of times  but seemed to do good.

Roger

www.blacksmithcoke.com

I go through about two tons a year and L Brand is all that I use.  Ed is always been good about getting right back to me and getting me a price.  I will say that the price of coke has gone up about $175/ton over  the last two years.  Also Ed has moved his base of supply from Alabama to Georgia just north of Atlanta.  Nice for me since I am only about 45 min away.