I Forge Iron

Massey 3cwt .watery oily sludge behind circular cylinder sidecover

Hi this is the first time iam posting something with pictures so i dont know how this will turn out . last month i bought a Massey 3cwt build in 1967 which was stored in a shed since mid -late 90. so not an old hammer at all . when i got it home (not on the back of a japanese pick up truck lol) and finnished hugging it , decided to open all the lids ...as one does..first the oval cylinder sidecover ,oil is clean and enough of it, next the circular cover above it ..shock horror ..rusty watery ..oily sludge came out ,( see picture),but after i cleaned it out it looks ok so my question is ...would condensation build up in there, as the hammer gets hot while working, has anyone seen something like that in their hammers as well, and how clean should it be in there?? .. also took the cylindercovers off on top ( see pictures) nice and clean. the ram is also in good condition. so overall i am happy with my new toy ,I am even getting used to the collour,when i first seen it i thought it was repainted but it looks like it was yellow from birth, does anyone ...John N??? know if Massey did yellow hammers, maybe by request? So i would be greatful to hear frome anyone who stripped or opened hammers up. cheers HJP

post-25658-0-46312700-1349257614_thumb.j

post-25658-0-94009400-1349257694_thumb.j

post-25658-0-56117700-1349257729_thumb.j

post-25658-0-76753000-1349257775_thumb.j

post-25658-0-98667100-1349257809_thumb.j

post-25658-0-87967500-1349257859_thumb.j

Finished hugging it......... well that made me laugh!!

Yeah I recon the sludge is a result of condensation and a build up of water and oil where the hammer has sat up for many years lying idle. A good clean up, fill it with the recommended oil, correct levels and off to work we go!!

Good as new, best of luck with your new hammer.

thanks Gentlemen, Oh.. one thing i forgot to add re oily sludge in my Massey ...the first person who is to reply to my post wins the right to help me dig the foundation.... :P .. so Woody you are the lucky one. and the beers are in the fridge.

"Sat in an unheated building" its in Queensland, all buildings in Queensland are heated whether you like it or not, the whole state is heated, personally I would say it gets to hot and humid to even live there, let alone forge anything. Seriously though that reseviour or void should be the one that has the drain tap on it, to allow all that muck to be blown out periodically. Probly it was not done before the hammer was taken out of service, and it has sat there since. No real threat.
Phil

Now that I have looked at the photos (duh) I see which cover you are talking about, dont know it that has a connection to the res but figuring the amount of humidity in Qld I could understand how the hammer could get hot, push out the air inside that void, cool down and suck in moist air etc till the moisture built up. I'm not sure but I think that cover is ony for assembly/maching purposes, Ive had those covers off my 5 and from memory they dont go anywhere much. I'll have a squizz at mine today and see what they do.

Phil

Hi Phil thanks for looking at it . this particular one is open to the valves so moisture could get in . i mean condensation could build up in there , it was about 80% oil and together with the water formed this rusty sludge that spilled out when i removed the cover .but after cleaning it all up it looks okey. in fact iam quite happy with the hammer although i havnt had it run yet. cheers Hans