I Forge Iron

Copper jewellery.

one_rod

A friend of mine was suffering from mild arthritis in his elbows. Many people believe that wearing a copper bracelet helps with this condition.

Now, he's very big bloke and thought that the ones that were available in the shops were a bit "dainty looking" for his taste. So I made him this.

Forged from 6mm copper bar, with 1mm wire wrapping on the ends. I did hope that it would have held itself together, but I ended up having to put a couple of small spots of braze on the back of the knot, and on the ends of the wire wrap. They are not visible once its being worn.

one_rod.

2324.attach

Me too Rod :D I don't think you'd have ended up with any alternative but a bit of solder to hold that style of bracelet together though, so don't feel bad about it. What was the alternative? Trying to forge weld copper..... good luck with that mate, LOL :D Has anyone on here ever done it?

Me too Rod :D I don't think you'd have ended up with any alternative but a bit of solder to hold that style of bracelet together though, so don't feel bad about it. What was the alternative? Trying to forge weld copper..... good luck with that mate, LOL :D Has anyone on here ever done it?

Ian,
I was sort of hoping that if I made the knot tight enough it would hold itself together. But it didn't.

I have gas welded and TIG welded copper. I have even stick welded it (an obsolete process in copper nowadays).

I was about to agree with you about forge welding the stuff, but as Johnny99 says, the mokume process is a kind of forge weld.
Well it's a kind of weld, and it can be done in the forge.....

one_rod.

Yes it is, but as you probably know Rod, mokume gane (to give it it's full title) is a process where 'layers' of copper and alternative metals such as silver, gold etc are stacked and then forge welded. It's not (in my experience at least) a case of putting two layers of copper together and forge welding them, which would have been the case with that bracelet. It's a case of getting the metal with the lowest 'wash' point to stick to the metal next to it on either side, which isn't normally two pieces of copper. I wasn't saying copper CAN'T be forge welded together, I leave that to more experienced Smiths, just that it's ruddy difficult and in the case of the bracelet an unessessary hardship.

• 2 years later...

The way I've found works best for me is to get an idea of the size of hole I'm needing ( a little more than double the diameter of the rod approximately) bending the rod on either side of the length needed for the loop 90 deg in the same direction so you have a |_| shape and then heating the _ part and bending it around two of the same size rods side by side as a mandrel. when the legs meet it should make a nice loop on the end of the two pieces.

Another way is to bend the one rod around the mandrel and then squeeze the legs together in a vise.

Tight heats of only what you want to bend are important.

I forgot to mention I bend the legs backwards so they meet pointing the opposite way on the jig than they started.

I was thinking heavier stock when I said vice as I've only used the knot for a table leg crossbrace, of course a pair of tongs would work for light stuff.

What is the consensus about Copper working for arthritis? I have a little in my left hand and have been working a good amount of copper lately, seems it dosen't hurt as much.
Any facts out there? Or even solid wives tales? I've ebeen thinking a braclet might be in order. Mind if I copy this one?

• 1 year later...

I have fusion welded copper and Frosty has a friend that says forge welding it is "so easy you can't believe it". Flux is important as copper oxidizes quite a ways before it gets to welding heat. I agree that the medical properties are dubious but it's still a nice looking piece of jewelry! In addition to brazing it is possible to use sterling silver as a solder for copper... I've done a fair amount of that.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the consensus about Copper working for arthritis? I have a little in my left hand and have been working a good amount of copper lately, seems it dosen't hurt as much.
Any facts out there? Or even solid wives tales? I've ebeen thinking a braclet might be in order. Mind if I copy this one?

My father manufactured copper jewelry from the 1940 through the late 60s..bracelets were a regular item. He was always embarrassed when folks swore that they cured their aches and pains..Finally ended saying, "whatever works for you". Made some heavy masculine bracelets for the line. The stuff is a " collectible" now.
They used a clear finish that often survives to this day. I never could find out what it was.
Brian B is a tremendously talented guy, i like and admire him a lot.